Garden shed

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by alteredpanic, Jul 26, 2018.

1. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

So, I laid a 9x11 foot slab of 4 inch concrete the other month, it was my first ever attempt, its not perfectly flat but its enough for a shed. I was debating building my own shed, but recent mental health issues have ruled that out as the thought of it is just too overwhelming at the moment.

So, I debated between metal and wood, and finally settled on metal after reading all the pros and cons and speaking to numerous people.

My question therefore is this - I am going to be building a raised brick flower bed out of marshalls walling (bosses instructions) and thought that it would be nice if I laid a single course of these under the shed frame (metal shed has no floor, so just the framing would sit on the course of bricks, with the concrete itself then becmoing the floor which is fine as its just for storage. I thought of doing this when I was planning on building a wooden one of my own, to keep it off the concrete and to stop it absorbing moisture from the concrete (which has a DPM in it anyway). Any thoughts on laying the course of bricks? Any reason why I shouldnt? Would it be over kill? It would at least mean that the shed frame would be totally level on the bricks rather than on the concrete slab which isnt perfect.

Oh, got one of these

https://www.shedstore.co.uk/garden-sheds/metal-sheds/yardmaster-shiplap-108sl-metal-shed-10-by-8

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

In the winter they can suffer from condensation problems on the inside..

alteredpanic likes this.
  3. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

Yes so I heard - its getting itself insulated after its erected to hopefully curb that issue

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Hope you got the patience of a saint going down the metal route, there's literary thousands of tiny nuts and bolts. I put up a 6 x 8' one for my mum, drove me round the bend. :(:(:(

longboat and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have done two for friends, never again.:mad::mad:

6. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

That's what you said the first time.

DIYperson likes this.
  7. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

Little patience, but lots of prescription drugs to keep me from freaking out if that helps ;)

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You'll need ventilation to help prevent condensation. The air inside will warm up during the day, warm air holds more moisture and then moisture will condense when air cools down.

9. diy_dave

diy_dave New Member

Metal sheds are terrible. I helped my father put up a 10x13 one back in 2006 and every winter it's like niagara falls. Everything ends up sodden through the condensation, tools rust.

It was put on a base of pallets to let air circulate underneath and I even added vents at the gable ends to let air in but that didn't help.

And there's gaps around the sides where the roof meets the walls, nice easy access for spiders to get in.

Personally, I wouldn't get one ever again.

KIAB likes this.
  10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Good point Dave. Condensation thrives with moist air and cold surfaces and of course when the outside air gets cool, so will the metal panels. Wood is much better in this regard, I haven't seen any sign of condensation in my 6x4 shed that was put up a year ago.

KIAB likes this.
  11. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

Thanks guys, well its up, no issues so far and hasnt been much hotter inside than outside of it. Even with all the rain its been ok so far so I guess winter will be its test.

12. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Quote " ' started by alteredpanic, Jul 26, 2018.

So even after asking advice, every reply was Don't do it, and all the replies were on the same day, you still went ahead.
    "Any reason why I shouldnt?" I think the replies speak for themselves.

You will be back in December asking us our opinion on how to stop damp in my new metal shed. :eek:

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Well done on your perseverance and ability to follow the instructions.

At least you have something to show for your endeavours

14. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

@masterdiy - I had already bought the shed which was sitting in the garage at the time of opening this thread. I initially asked about whether or not I could lay it on a course of bricks, not whether or not there would be moisture in it. Those comments were given by others in good faith, not because I asked whether I should buy a metal or wooden one.

@sospan - yes - it was a challenge. As someone with PTSD it made it even more annoying and frustrating as my head kept freaking out on me, so it took me almost a week, whereas beforehand, I would have had it done in a day. Stupid head

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Tell me about it, I had a head injury in 2012 it has taken me a long time to get some of my skills back. Still have difficulty with reading and maths. I share your problems with instructions which are over whelming on times. Whilst before I would be classed as exceptional in a lot of things now remembering simple things is quite a challenge