Garden Shredder Recommendation

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Theleman, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Which garden shredder would be good / best buy?
    And which one have you got?

Is it working well? Your thoughts on the shredders?

2. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

What are you shredding?

3. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Tree branches (birch, black thorn, holy, leylandii 2 - 5cm diametre), hedge cuttings, some woody bushy shrubs cuttings to leafy plants.

4. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

None of the domestic ones will handle anything above 2 or 2.5 cm so if you want to go up to 5 cm you’re into professional hobbies costing a few thousand pounds. Better to hire if you’ve only got infrequent use.

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I have tried several different ones over the years. Most have packed up on me so ended up at the dump, but I still have the Bosch one. However, their blades get blunt ridiculously quickly which then makes rubbish mulch and stresses the machine. I now have two blades ... one in the machine and one awaiting sharpening or freshly sharpened.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One off job, then I would hire one.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Don't buy a bladed shredder...............way to noisy and pretty lousy, have a serious look at the type that crushes the branches into mulch size pieces as they are a really good piece of kit to have. Mate of mine has one so will find out the details and get back to you.

Theleman likes this.
  8. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

We have quite a lot of these twigs and branches lying in the garden, and it will not be a one day or few days job.

I am going to shred them whenever time is available and weather permitting, and it will be all year round job in this house due to trees, plants and hedges in the garden.
    After shredding, they get mulched into soil or around the plant, so it is good.

I already got a Titan shredder, and it is a bladed one. First few days I was delighted with it, but then it started giving problems such as jamming and loud noise as Astra pointed out.
    When it jams, you have to unscrew the box, and it takes ages to do that. Then must clear stuck bits around the blade. It shreds very well, if it is straight and thin twigs up to about 2-3cm, but any bent, bushed or thicker stuff, Titan just jams.

It takes a while to get back to operation once it jams, and then it is just too slow and takes ages to open it up, unblock, reset and start again.

So I am considering returning it for either refund or swap with other makes, if there is better model.

9. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

Never had a bladed one so can't compare, but I've had a Ryobi 2400 quiet shredder for about 6-7 years, as stated above it tends to crush and produce chunks rather than cut like a bladed one.
    It works very well on most stuff apart from really thin new green growth ( stuff like conifer ends and new brambles) if i feed it anything too big and it sticks then i just flip it into reverse and it unjambs itself
    The cog/cutter wheel can be adjusted for wear
    Its a heavy well built thing and has never not worked for me oh and it's not too loud
    HTH

Theleman and Astramax like this.
  10. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

I have one of the above too and had a bladed one which I got rid of. Pleased with the Ryobi for small stuff but not more than 20mm dis, the OP originally said he wanted to go up to 50mm

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

They are called a Crushing Quiet Garden Shredder, Argos has Spear and Jackson S28ES up to 42mm branches around £160 other makes available.

Theleman likes this.
  12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Bonfire. A well made organised fire will burn pretty much anything - in any weather (with a bit of planning). Anything that won't go in the wood burner or on the open fire goes that way. Very therapeutic as well.

KIAB and Jord86 like this.
  13. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

But it doesn't give out mulching material afterwards :)

14. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

16. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Ryobi looks great too.

17. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Or make noise or use electricity or require storage.

Properly managed compost bins will deal with all sorts of green waste which is more beneficial than shredded green waste (unless composted) as it doesn't de-nitrify the soil.

Dam0n likes this.
  18. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

With amount of power tools run by many neighbors these days, and main road traffic with thousands of cars, buses and lorries passing all day long, we are not exactly quiet sleepy suburbs village here :) So maybe that's just way of modern life = use of power tools :)

Some garden shredders seem claim to be Quiet machines. Storage? That's why we have sheds, even if faced with dangers of mice intruders. :)

We also have compost bins recycling leafy stuff and veg peels, and yes they enrich garden soil every year.
    But main point of mulching would be for suppressing weeds and also visual effect on the soil. It takes a wee bit longer for mulching material break down, but they surely do enrich soil too in the long run.

We used to buy mulching materials and shredded wood barks for fiver per a bag a few year ago, to put down around the lawn every spring. We needed 10-12 bags to cover front and back garden.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  19. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Pile it up and leave it for the wildlife, machete the larger sections , leave till brittle , smash up and use for fire kindling

KIAB, WillyEckerslike and rogerk101 like this.
  20. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Branches thicker than 4.5cm are set aside for wood stove.
    Less than 4.5cm getting shredded for mulching.