Garden Tap

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by arsenalboy, Jul 14, 2006.

1. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

I have a brass garden tap on the outside wall to which I attach the hose to water the garden. I am off on hols next week and have nobody to water the greenhouse so have bought one of those automatic watering kits. It has a programmable timer that fits to the tap. The problem is that you have to leave the tap on full and then it lets the water through at the correct time. I have very high pressure and the water is dripping through the fittings, no problems when the water is being let through, but that will only be 10 mins or so out of 24 hour period. The collar that screws on to the tap is brass i.e., it came with the tap. The tap connector is plastic, I have screwed as tight as possible. Any solution to stop the constant dribble of water?
    There is no water shortage where I live at the moment but I don't want to cause one!!

2. jonah.

jonah. New Member

May be a silly reply, but, what about turning the tap off a bit to reduce the pressure and give it a try for 24hrs

Cheers - jonah

3. arsenalboy

arsenalboy Member

No I have already tried that. The strange thing is that it doesn't leak as much (but still annoyingly enough) when the tap is full on, more leaks out as the pressure is reduced. Does that mean anything to anybody?

4. barnet bill

barnet bill New Member

As a last measure you could buy a roll of plastic water pipe and tee it into the mains before the garden tap

5. PDPS

PDPS New Member

Replace the washer in the tap connector?

6. jeffev

jeffev Member

you are not reducing pressure by turning down the tap you could buy a hoselock connector that will screw directly on to tap usually 3/4 bsp this will connect tap and hose pipe in one fitting

7. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Try using PTFE tape on the threads. If its leaking less when fully open is the leak coming out the tap spindle??

8. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Try using PTFE tape on the threads. If its leaking less when fully open is the leak coming out the tap spindle??