Garden Workshop Base Advice please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SparkyAnt, Apr 25, 2021.

1. SparkyAnt

SparkyAnt Member

Hi there,
    I’m building a 16x12 / 4.8x3.6m workshop in my garden and looking for advice on the best method to support it.
    It will be a workshop with lots of tools, work benches etc..not just a big shed.

The idea I’ve had is to use concrete blocks (440x200x100) 3 rows of 6

I’ve dug out 18 holes about 600x300x350mm deep , equally spaced apart.
    The plan is to fill each hole with about 100mm of MOT type1 , tamp down and then lay the block on this and then fill around the block with concrete to encase everything.
    I may lay 2 blocks on top of each other to get the height I need if req.

Main Question.
    Do I actually need concrete? (my dad thinks it’s overkill!) So will just laying the block on top of a “thick” 200mm plus layer of MOT with sharp sand be sufficient?

In my mind, and I’m no builder!ha the concrete acts like ‘glue’ and keeps everything together and feel without it everything could shift or become un level over time just being on MOT and sand?

With it being something I can’t get to fix once built I want to do it properly first time.

Could someone in the know please let me know their advice, I’m ready to start the work on Monday so would really appreciate any help.

Cheers

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's easy for dads to say they wouldn't bother with stuff and "oh in my day we would have laid them on soil" and all that other cack, but it's not their house and they're not there to help when things start to go south. I can't understand the purpose of the blocks, for the sake of a few hundred quid of concrete save the faffing about and just hire a mix it wagon who will pour exactly the amount you need, at exactly the right spec.

3. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I did the same thing on my shed base as it was built on a slight slope and a concrete slab was impractical.
    Once the holes were prepared, I found it beneficial to bed the blocks onto a thin layer of mortar. It fills any slight voids and makes it easy to get perfectly level.
    Concrete around the block is a good idea, but perhaps not essential.

4. SparkyAnt

SparkyAnt Member

Hi mate,
    The garden is on a slope so not practical to just pour a big slab else I’d have done that instead.
    The concrete blocks are there to provide a solid platform to rest the skid on.
    I had 2 quotes for concrete to provide enough to lay a solid base and was around the £450 mark so not just a few hundred quid.
    I agree it would be the best way but just not practical

5. SparkyAnt

SparkyAnt Member

Thanks for the tip mate appreciate it :)