Garden Workshop - Timber frame

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jordash, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Jordash

Jordash Member

Hi All,

I'm about to embark on a project that I'm really looking forward to.

My wife and I have recently started fostering and we've found that once there's a couple of kids in the house we've run out of space!

I already have a small workshop in the garden, but unfortunately I've out grown it.

If you're interested I put a couple of videos on YouTube when we moved to this house and put it up.

So the new plan is to build a new workshop, then convert the existing one into a hobby room.

Thankfully we are blessed with a large garden. After much deliberation we have decided to build a (roughly) 5m x 6m flatroof timber frame structure in the bottom half of the garden.

I've previously helped my best mate build a garden shed, but for this one we would like to do things properly.

I've checked the local planning regulations and thankfully there's nothing out of the ordinary in our borough, so we will be able to do this build under the permissible development rules. We will leave a 2 and a bit meter gap between the new building and all three boundaries at the bottom of the garden.

The garden is roughly 9m x 22m, so still leaves plenty of room even with the original workshop and a large trampoline.

Although I have no requirement to do so I am going to base the structure on the building regulations as this seems to make sense and I want to do a proper job.

As a starter for 10 I have started modelling up the workshop in SketchUp:

[​IMG]Front - No sheathing by Jordash2007, on Flickr

[​IMG]Front - No cladding by Jordash2007, on Flickr

After doing a bit of research and I've decided to work on 24" centres, it means that I need larger floor and roof joists, but the cost difference is negligible as you need fewer of them and also it should make construction a little faster as I won't have to cut so many timbers or insulation boards.

The base will be piers (based on hardcore and concrete blocks), as this should reduce the amount of digging I have to do and should be reasonably cost effective (compared to having a concrete slab).

The windows and doors are already purchased cheap off facebook, although they need some serious clean up, along with new handles/locks and at least one new glazing unit. Even with all this the whole lot should cost me less than £250.

I intend to document the process as I go along and will hopefully post regular update videos on YouTube, which I'll share here.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Look forward to hearing more.

Looks a good project.

Jordash likes this.
  3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

With a busy house, its good to try to make best use of an outdoor building.

I put a tumble dryer and laundry area into one at my old place. It was a multipurpose building. Over the years it was an office, tv room, extra accomodation occasionally, lego room. And when we finally moved it was brilliant for storing packed up boxes.

And converted an old storeroom into an outside toilet.

Really worked well.

Jordash likes this.
  4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Insulate as much as possible.

Also put some 32mm waste pipe all the way round through the studwork to make retro alterations for sockets, lights etc a lot easier.

Jimmycloutnail likes this.
  5. Jordash

Jordash Member

Nice tip, thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that!

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Have a look at SIPs - structural insulated panels. You can buy them online. https://www.sipsdirect.co.uk/ I've convinced myself that this is what I am going to use on a suspended timber floor similar. Completely eliminates framing - you just spline the panels together.

7. Jordash

Jordash Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I had looked at them, but found the overall material cost was a bit higher than building the wooden frame and insulation. Also the idea of building my own timber frame is quite appealing!

On a progress note, I have now dug the holes for the piers and taken deliver of the blocks, hardcore and timber for the base.

IMG_20190301_173520-1280x960.jpg IMG_20190301_173505-960x1280.jpg

8. Jordash

Jordash Member

It's been a while since the last update...

The foundations are done. The piers are level to within 10mm (don't worry I have a plan for fine tuning) and the main structure of the base are cut to length with timber preservative currently drying on them.

IMG_20190323_160803_134.jpg IMG_20190323_160803_131.jpg

9. Jordash

Jordash Member

So I've been filming the process and here's the first one. All about the groundwork preparation and concrete block piers.

10. Jordash

Jordash Member

Here's the progress I made on the base yesterday afternoon.

IMG_20190329_181002_808-1920x1920.jpg

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Looks great.

Just make sure you close off access underneath.

Rats would see that as a luxury pad!

12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Agreed it looks really good. I also thought the same about the space underneath - that it needs protecting/closing off. My first thought was to fix a mesh on a frame of some sort all round but then thought that a 4 X 1 vertical pale screen (with small gaps to allow airflow) would look nicer.

I then thought you might have an opportunity to provide some long length timber storage under there if you built a simple rack at this stage. You won't get much in but you might be glad of it. Just make a door in the timber screen/skirt.

I've watched your video - you'll put the rest of us to shame working that fast.

Keep us informed - you'll learn loads doing it - so will we.

13. Jordash

Jordash Member

Thanks for the advice. I know I need to leave roof for air to flow to ensure it doesn't rot. I'm planning on using metal side panels so maybe a vented panel, or decorative wooden as you guys have suggested.

14. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    I’ve heard a different view recently, actually leave the gap, at least 300/400 mm
    And you get no rats or vermin, the local cats stop all that malarkey !

Just a thought

Good luck

15. Jordash

Jordash Member

So I've slowly made some progress. The base insulation is done and I've had a major timber delivery. I've booked next week off and I'm interested to see how much I can get done in a week.

IMG_20190405_193802-1280x960.jpg

I've got a bit further than this, but forgot to take any photos!

16. Jordash

Jordash Member

Made some good progress over the weekend. And I now have the next week off to try and get as much done as possible.

IMG_20190414_181232-1280x960.jpg IMG_20190414_181201-1280x960.jpg

Note that this last photo is just to show you the sort of size it'll be. The frames still need checking for square and bracing before I can stand them up and scree them in place.

17. Jordash

Jordash Member

OK, so I've had a pretty productive week off work so far:

IMG_20190415_183255-1280x960.jpg IMG_20190417_115935-1280x960.jpg IMG_20190415_183338-1280x960.jpg IMG_20190415_183331-1280x960.jpg IMG_20190418_130449-1280x960.jpg IMG_20190419_174253-1280x960.jpg IMG_20190419_174436-1280x960.jpg

Otilebab and ESPlumb like this.
  18. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Looks very good mate, I love timber framing, one of the best parts of carpentry if the suns out. Did you not want a pitched roof then?

Jordash likes this.
  19. Jordash

Jordash Member

For simplicity and cost I stuck with a flat roof, it has 100mm slope down from left to right.

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No skylight? Makes a hell of a difference to the working area, even if you're just idling having a coffee it brightens the room up. What you going for to cover the roof?