Garden Workshop - Timber frame

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jordash, Feb 21, 2019.

1. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Active Member

as jord said put a pitch roof on less futher down the line but looks good

2. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

If you have a look at these cheap roof windows from Screwfix https://www.screwfix.com/c/building-doors/roof-windows/cat850314

They are around £100. all you need is to make a small upstand to fit them to the roof and it will make a huge difference in terms of light and give the feel of a much taller ceiling

3. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Those Tyrems look good, didn't you mention you'd fitted one a couple months back? How's your aches today?

4. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

I have fitted quite a few of those windows especially the cheaper one which now look like they are discontinued. They aren't supposed to be used for habitable spaces but can't see too many issues. They are incredible value for money and so useful - especially with the weather this weekend to let some extra ventilation in as whenever it is hot we end up with an insulation or boarding job in an attic :rolleyes:

Just going to post a picture in the other thread about my foot. :D

5. Jordash

Jordash New Member

Not a chance! I'm going for an EPDM roof and I'd never get it right. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, to reduce the chance of me screwing it up.

6. Jordash

Jordash New Member

Here's the finished structure. Now the hard work begins! Still need to insulate, clad and roof it. Then wiring, plastering and anything I realise I've forgotten!

IMG_20190422_162704-1280x960.jpg IMG_20190420_174018-1280x960.jpg

7. Jordash

Jordash New Member

It's been a while since the last update, mostly due to all the wet weather.

I have been waiting everything to dry out before getting the EPDM rubber roof up and in place.
    IMG_20190515_203551-1280x960.jpg

Now I'm going to leave it up there for a few days to let the creases settle out.

Jord86 likes this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Weighs a bit, doesn’t it mate? :) ;) Hot weathers the best to remove creases.

9. Jordash

Jordash New Member

Tell me about it! Two of us did it with the help of some blocks and tackle. Hoping the current weather will be enough.

10. Hans_25

Hans_25 Active Member

Getting the creases out is easier if its a pitched roof. I used a wide soft broom to sweep the creases out, but was quite warm at the time. Just make sure, if there's print on the EPDM, that you have the printed side down :eek:

Jordash likes this.
  11. Caspar Dean

Caspar Dean New Member

Nice project. Well done.

12. Jordash

Jordash New Member

Thanks, I'm still making some progress.

The recent **** weather has lead me inside, where I have now insulated 3 of the walls.

IMG_20190615_184714-2736x720.jpg
    I also recently got the battens on the outsides of the walls and the bottom drip cill of the metal cladding (no photo sorry).

Sadly I cut through my airline with the tin snips ☺️

This stopped play on Sunday, but I'll get a replacement this week. I also received my soffits and fascia, once this is sorted I can finish the roof.

I need some decent dry weather before putting up the metal sheets, as I need to open up the window openings (currently protected by the house wrap) and will need some time to finish the siding before fitting the windows.