Garden

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Len234, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Len234

Len234 New Member

Hi
    so we decided to have a full garden reivation so the whole family could injoy a summer house and nice garden. As we was digging for a soak away we uncovered an old clay 60mm land drin.The pipe was broken so we tried to rubber collor it to carry it on to were ever it was going. But the water just comes out further up the line. It seems to be letting out a large amount over time so I have dug a big soak away in the hope that it catches that water and helps it drain away. What worries me is the volume of water that the pipe is letting out. It’s a small fast trickl but it is continuous and seems to fill up the bottom of the soak away quicker then it can soak away. But it also seems to get to a certain height and stop. Any help or advice

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Do you have your land deeds? That should show any drains, this might be a surface water sewer that's owned by the water authority e.g. Thames Water, depending where you live.

3. Len234

Len234 New Member

I have can try to dig them out and see if I can find anything. We are in Romford. Should I contact them to see what they say?

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Have a look at your deeds to see if anything is marked first. You might also contact your water authority.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could be a broken old water main, your water authority might have maps showing pipes.

Your deeds might also show a spring, might even worth popping into your county records office & look at the 25" to 1 mile OS map (in use & reprinted from 1841-1952) for your area, might show something like a spring/culvert.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

FYI, I have a stream going through my garden. Its actually a surface water sewer that's owned by Thames Water, and it shows on the land registry maps or whatever they are. Thames Water weren't aware of it until I pointed it out though.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. Len234

Len234 New Member

I’ll have a look at the deeds and contact my water althorty over the weekend. It not really a pipe it’s small clay tubes that are just butted up to each other u could just take it out piece by piece and the inside is full up with silt but the water is comeing threw at a small bit fast tricky