Gary Hart

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Whistle Blower, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Whistle Blower

Whistle Blower New Member

Remember Gary Hart the man who caused the Selby rail crash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2055486.stm

Was his 5 year prison sentence too steep? Was he an innocent man just trying to earn a living?

What would you do if you knew of a professional driver that was moonlighting and putting his passengers at risk?

Would you think differently if you knew someone who was killed by a driver falling asleep at the wheel?

Did you know that drivers falling asleep at the wheel kill more people than drunk drivers?

2. Jim

Jim Guest

So.....what you on?

3. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

So.....what you on?

The clue is in the name ..................whistleblower,he is thinking of informing

4. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

So.....what you on?

> The clue is in the name
    ..................whistleblower,he is thinking of
    informing

He's probably stirred it already. Or at least tried to.

The silly Boy.

[Edited by: admin]

5. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

6. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

Whistleblower;
    In response to your question I can give a fairly authoritative answer as i know Gary quite well. I used to drink with him when we were younger....about 20 years ago. He did a stupid thing, agreed, and he knew this. Is there many of us that can honestly say that they have never driven when they have been too tired to do so? He is quite a simple guy but a decent, hard working one and got, and took, his punishment. Whilst I have great sympathy for the people who lost loved ones I can also see it from Gary's side as he too has to live with what he did and will have to live with it also for the rest of his natural. I gather he has moved from the area and his close relationships have all being severed. when i last saw him about 3 years ago he certainly didnt look like the person i knew and the ordeal had taken its toll. He was a plonker but also extremely unlucky as anyone who has been to the scene of the accident will agree. To actually try to do what he did would be difficult enough, to do it accidentally...bloody amazing.
    SimplyDIY

7. Mr GrimNasty

Life, stranger than fiction.

8. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

when i last saw him about 3 years ago he certainly didnt look like the person i knew and the ordeal had taken its toll. He was a plonker but also extremely unlucky

[Edited by: admin6]

9. Mr GrimNasty

That's a bit strong PB*

10. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi SimplyDIY.

I think you've said it all. There are lots of accidents caused every year by people falling asleep at the wheel.

Some cause fatalities, some only cause damage to their own car. Sometimes you wake up in time so manage to effectively 'get away with it'.

What's the difference with Gary Hart? Only that he had the unlucky misfortune of rolling down an embankment and landing on the rail tracks. That's all.

Other than that, he's done no more or less than every other person who's fallen asleep at the wheel.

Should everyone who's fallen asleep at the wheel get a 5 year jail sentence? If not, why not?

The same situation applies to dangerous or drink-driving. If you are doing 50mph in a residential zone when a child runs out in front of you, you'll almost certainly get a custodial sentence and lots more besides. If no child runs out and you simply get caught speeding, you'll just get a fine and some penalty points. The difference is just down to sheer bad luck - each is as guilty as the other.

11. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

Oh, so Mr Plastic, you've never driven in any sort of state, i.e. tired, a bit too much to drink, using your mobile, eating, lighting up, etc, etc, etc, where you could have been (given a bloody unlucky day) a danger to others on the road then?
    I am not sticking up for him, as i said, he was stupid but if you can honestly say no to all the above then it should be you at the pearly gates as you are obviously more saintly than the rest of us. Never risked anything or made a mistake that could have been disastrous?? *
    SimplyDIY

12. SimplyDIY

SimplyDIY New Member

Oh, and yes DA, thanks be that there are at least two people who can answer a reasonable argument and not be holier than thou!
    S/DIY

13. plastic bertrand

Oh, so Mr Plastic, you've never driven in any sort of state, i.e. tired, a bit too much to drink, using your mobile, eating, lighting up, etc, etc, etc

Nope*
    PS he won't live with this tragedy for the rest of his natural, he's probably forgot all about it.

14. Mr GrimNasty

Oh, and yes DA, thanks be that there are at
    least two people who can answer a reasonable argument
    and not be holier than thou!

Anyone got a tissue, I just spurted a mouthful of coffee all over the screen.

15. ª¹

ª¹ New Member

16. ª¹

ª¹ New Member

Kumquat pips, for example.

17. plastic bertrand

A good chatroom spoilt *

18. Herr Trigger

Herr Trigger New Member

Maybe, maybe not. The sentence given out can never replace the loss sustained.

Its the recklessness he showed that is to question (in my mind). if you are undertaking an unusual drive (to you) early the next morning, surely you have a responsibility to ensure you have enough proper rest?

19. Mr GrimNasty

Looks like he was shagged out before he even got to her.

20. lamello

lamello New Member

Brighton used to have a player called Gary Hart and ironically enough I was on a train with a load of Brighton fans singing "oh Gary Hart Gary Gary Gary Hart". also there was that presidential candidate who got caught having it away with an adult actress on a boat called "monkey business" he was called gary hart too