Gas bayonet fitting

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jonesy_103, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Jonesy_103

Jonesy_103 New Member

can anyone tell me if the attached photo is a gas bayonet fitting which is attached to my mom's cooker and can I disconnect this myself without employing a gas safe engineer ?

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Will you be fitting a new replacement cooker?, if not then the best bet would be to employ a GS person to remove the bayonet connector and plug the elbow, making sure that after it is gas tight.

Although the bayonet connector does have a safety feature (a spring return valve) which will shut of the gas, once the hose has been removed, it should not be relied upon. I have seen one fail when having a check done, after leak detector spray was sprayed around the connector. :eek: And this was a relativity new part.

If a new cooker is to be fitted, then it may be a good idea to replace the connector for a wall plate, as it doesn't seem to be fixed to the wall?

Just make sure there is no cables behind the wall as there appears to be a socket in the vicinity.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    FatHands likes this.
  4. Jonesy_103

Jonesy_103 New Member

Thanks both. I had hoped to remove the cooker and simply switch the gas off at the mains as the property will be vacant for a while

5. denby1

denby1 Member

yes you can disconnect the hose from the pipe work

6. Professor

Professor New Member

No you can't, a bayonet is classed as an open end, it needs to be capped and tested