Gas boiler burnt through boiler wall!?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Casey123, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

Hello, got home after a long day, ready to have a shower and notice a giant mark on the gas boiler in the bathroom...it looks like the fire in the boiler has somehow managed to burn through the wall! I’ve told all family members to stop showering or use the hot water tape. How do we fix this? I guess it would definitely need a replacement. Who would be most suited for the job? A plumber or someone else..? Slightly worried..please see attached image.

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Yep, a heating 'engineer'.

3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

:eek:

Never seen that before.:eek:

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

Blimey!

I'd be really interested to hear what the cause turns out to be.
    Has the boiler been regularly serviced?

Cando

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Me to, hope OP has smoke alarms fitted.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

I would also suggest contacting the manufacturers of the boiler - for a case like that, they would want to know.

And if you have it repaired - retain all damaged parts.

Casey123 likes this.
  7. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

Thanks for all the replies, there is no smoke alarm fitted in the bathroom D: (It's my parents' house) I've already told everyone to not use the hot water or shower..but someone decides to have a shower in the middle of the night anyway...(there are a couple lodgers in the house).

I am an engineer myself, and showed colleagues the photos this morning..they suggested getting a gas certified plumber to look at it.

8. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

No the boiler has not been regular serviced, when the hot water tapes are turned on, the circuit sparks the flame within the boiler to instantly heat the water. There is no storage of hot water.

9. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

Had a problem with my Vaillant 240 vcw (open flue) where a bit of insulation had come away inside the burner box and fell on top of the burners, flames shooting out every side, possibility? Anyway Gas Safe plumber is called for.

10. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Repaired!:eek:

Fit new, peace of mind, & a warrenty.

All for contacting manufacturers, might be able to screw a new boiler out of them.:)

Chaffoteaux Britony.

http://www.aristonthermo.com/en/Brand/chaffoteaux

11. Allsorts

Allsorts Well-Known Member

:eek: I suspect that boiler hasn't been serviced for quite a while...

12. candoabitofmoststuff

As it hasn't been serviced regularly I wonder if it's a build up of combustion debris that has collected into a "lump" and is acting a a heat reservoir, resting on the cover. It's obviously something localised.

Cando

13. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

Thanks! Just emailed them, hopefully get a reply soon.

14. candoabitofmoststuff

If you don't use gas for cooking, and it's only used to feed the boiler I'd consider turning the gas off at the meter. That way when lodgers complain of no hot water you can "blame" the boiler itself.

Cando

Casey123 likes this.
  15. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

That sounds very likely. I haven't lived there in a while, only moved back into this house about a year ago so I guessed that the likelihood my parents had it regularly serviced is very slim.

16. The Teach

The Teach Well-Known Member

seen them before with a scorched case,there are a few reasons why.

that water heater needs immediate action to make it safe,If used there is a possibility carbon monoxide will enter the room due to the melted & distorted case seals and other reasons also what looks like a cardboard box on top of the heater could ignite :(

if the pilot is lit the controls on the heater are still set to allow it to fire up when a hot water tap/shower is turned on,best call in a gas safe technician to make safe the appliance and quote for repairs/new appliance.

Thats an old appliance probably been there for 25+ years :(

Casey123 and KIAB like this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

If the heat has done that to cover, is there the chance it has also distorted the burner/combustion cover,allowing carbon monoxide to escape?

18. Casey123

Casey123 New Member

I didn't even think of carbon monoxide as an issue...my immediate thought was risk of explosion and second thought was if it does burn through eventually, there is a chance that the boiler can have a higher pressure build up inside than the surrounding atmosphere, this would lead to the fire misfiring outwards into the atmosphere rather than drawing air in. (I worked with furnaces and fired heaters a few years ago in an oil refinery...)

I am not taking any risk but the lodgers seems to be ignorant to the hazards...I've turned the two dials on the boiler off and water temp to the minus sign. Also switched off the electrical going towards the shower on the main switch board...not sure if it helps.

P.S. Ariston (aka Chaffoteaux) the manufacturer got back to be and classified it as 'immediately dangerous' and advise 'not to turn on the unit and call for a competent gas engineer to inspect'. No mentioning of offers of their engineers to inspect or replacement though.

19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Wow...... no S hit Sherlock

Would think so as well, makes more sense than your window cleaner or local fish monger :)

20. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Turn gas off at meter, remove handle,need to remove split pin,but will stop lodgers turning on gas.

Casey123 likes this.