Gas boiler / condensate query

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mosaix, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Mosaix

Mosaix Member

DA, very clear description, thanks. Don't know why I didn't think of doing it that way. I'm probably going over again next week so I'll give it a try. I'll let you know how I get on.

2. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Well-Known Member

I've had a wee look at typical condensate runs in installation booklets, and I see no issue with that setup whatsoever.

Run the condensate in rigid 22mm plastic pipe ('overflow' pipe) all the way, tho' - making sure it has a steady fall throughout. I'd then elbow it at the mouth of the receiving waste pipe, and have a piece extending inside at least an inch. Clip all the pipes thoroughly so's there's no chance of it popping oot.

If it's easier, you can run the waste pipe up towards the existing condensate pipe too - even 1 1/4" pipe. So if it's easier, insert that tee as before and then take its side connection - reduced to 1 1/4" pipe if you want - along and then up to meet the condensate pipe. Keep the top inlet mouths of both pipes at the sameish height.

Mosaix likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

4. Devil's Advocate

5. Mosaix

Mosaix Member

IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0489.JPG

Okay, went over today and did the suggested fix. The image on the left is before I started. The condensate drain is just visible behind the white flex.

The middle image is after the fix showing the drain now entering above the trap. The right hand image is from above the work top showing the w/m drain on the right and the condensate drain on the left. I cut the drain so it's a couple of inches short of the bottom of the elbow. I also clipped it to the wall to prevent it sagging down inside in the future as, once I'd cut it, it wasn't supported. In the picture it looks as if it's bent up a little, but there's a slight fall right to left. :)

Job done!

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  6. Devil's Advocate

MAN! That is AWESOME MAN!

It's...it's...it's... like I'd done it myself :D:eek::rolleyes::oops:

Mosaix likes this.
  7. Mosaix

Mosaix Member

Don't know where I got the idea from DA. :)

8. Devil's Advocate

The idea was easy - it's the execution wot's awesome.

Ach, enough buttering eachother up... :rolleyes:

9. Mosaix

Mosaix Member

Okay, she's now had this year's service. Different engineer and he's quite happy with what I did last year.

But... she says (her words) 'he mentioned that the gas meter has a wire missing but he didn't need to include it in the report'

I assume from that that he thinks the incoming gas pipe should be bonded?

Is this a strict requirement? Should she get it done?

10. Devil's Advocate

I would assume that's a bonding wire too - can't think of anything else.

Sparkies will be along to advise on its importance (or start a new thread on the leccy forum).

Mosaix likes this.
  11. Mosaix

Mosaix Member

Thanks, DA, will start a new thread.