Gas cooker connection

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jobber, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Itandje

Itandje New Member

There's more to it than 'just connecting it to a bayonet fitting'.
    Any rgi who does it will have to test for leaks and clearances etc, and could be held responsible if something went badly wrong (unlikely). To be in a position to do it properly the fella will have done a fair bit of training and payed a lot of money for tools, van, insurance, corgi fees and all the other costs of running a business. Whast do you reckon he should be charging you 30 quid??

2. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Jobber, just because the appliance is brand new from the manufacturer doesn't mean it doesn't have to be tested.
    Please don't assume that.
    I connected an electric cooker up for my stepdaughter a few weeks ago. Brand new, turning the electric on it was quickly apparent that there was an earth leakage as it tripped the electrics as soon as any dial was turned.. Called my sparky mate out and he found a loose wire inside the control panel, touching to the casing. Yep Brand New.

3. imran_

imran_ New Member

Once again (sorry guys) I think everyone's missed the key points. The bayonet fitting isn't an issue, and any amount of dangerous gas leakage in a kitchen will be identifiable. Even by my dog will detect it and he's got no nose (how does he smell; terrible!).

Personally I think the real dangers are:
    - is the gas cooker safety chained - a lot can tip up easily scalding/hurting someone, esp if opening 2 ovens together or a range cooker
    - if consumes a lot of gas, will it restrict gas to the boiler
    - is there suitable ventilation (again esp taking type of boiler into account)

As well the lesser thought about regs such as units/hoods fitted far too close that could cause a fire hazard. Sometime like us, the DIYer worries too much about the suppky of the gas rather than everything to do with the burning and by-products.

Happy Monday

4. no comment

no comment New Member

fitted 1000 of cookers my oppinion is 1 in 6 are faulty from factory one way or another. had one last year, if u read the instructions it says do not grill with door shut prety obvious as gas cutoff devise opperates cutting off gas but no fsd fitted so when u reopen door gas carries on but with no fsd and no auto ig fitted,
    this cuts in at less that quarter closed this is dangerous. advised customer of door but she still managed to blow herself across the kitchen. phoned makers who advised yes this is exceptable thats how its designed, customers do need to be showen correct opperation by engineer..

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

It's a good job we have you to keep us safe!

There are terrible dangers awaiting anyone who buys a new kitchen appliance these days!

...I think they missed off gas cookers! :^O

6. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

...I think they missed off gas cookers! :^O

Many years ago I told a site Forman to * off after I found out he had no Gas quals,bit like you Leaky

[Edited by: admin]

7. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Too many gas fitters try and exaggerate their importance. Tom is right, common sense and experience teaches you what is OK.

We should stop trying to impress the public with lies and tall tales - it just backfires ( 'scuse the pun) and makes the public even more determined to have a go them selves and avoid paying for our skill and knowledge.

Got to go, got a boiler to fit today. ;)

8. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Got to go, got a boiler to fit today. ;)

Theres no tall tales or lies on this thread, FACT. The Op still has to screw the threaded end into the cooker. Ask yerself this one Brownie,would you let any member of your Family do it on their own, I think not

9. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Theres no tall tales or lies on this thread, FACT.
    The Op still has to screw the threaded end into the
    cooker. Ask yerself this one Brownie,would you let
    any member of your Family do it on their own, I think
    not

you cannot connect any gas appliance legaly unless you are gas safe.. what? Note even this?

10. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Zillions of customers connect new gas cookers every week!
    It's not rocket science is it? It is also perfectly legal to connect your own gas cooker.

Stop trying to big yourselves up, it only makes you look stupid and tarnishes the whole plumbing trade.

11. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

And your just a snivelling little counter rat bigging up yer mates,stick to serving,thats about yer limit

12. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Insulting people is really going to impress the reading public.

You know you have lost the argument so you now you are sulking.

Grow up!

13. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Dont worry Gordon yer other little mates will be along shortly, the rat pack. :^O :^O

14. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I did my time doing Corgi, nearly 25 years before I decided I did not need it any more. You don't do your trade any favours "blobby" by ranting at people.

You just confirm the public's view that gas fitters are out to enforce a monopoly and rip them off( a mistaken view) but exaggerating your importance and slinging insults on a public forum is immature and damaging to the trade as a whole.

15. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Didnt take long to get you on board aswel Leaky,still a couple more out there,wont be long.

16. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I agree with 'blooby' to a degree, but with this weak Labour government & all the lilly livered PC kru, you'll never get DIY gas work banned. Fortunately, the punters with common sense employ Gas Safe RGIs.

17. no comment

no comment New Member

now now ladies this is not about gettin diyers banned this is about rgi s working from the same set of regs, seems to be to many non rgi,s putting in there oppinion. this is not about anyone person biggin themselves up either as you say, were all acs trained arnt we...ah sorry my mistake.. must be the sound of ur spurs drowning out my tv then

18. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

were all acs trained
    arnt we...ah sorry my mistake.. must be the sound of
    ur spurs drowning out my tv then

Well you're obvioulsy not 'cos if you were you'd know that it isn't illegal to DIY gas (well not always at least)

19. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Some people enjoy getting their handbags out and airing their insecurities.

We have to humour them occasionally.

20. no comment

no comment New Member

grow up woliver