Gas fire coals

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Radders, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Radders

Radders Member

Any heating engineers / gas fitters out there?

I have an open gas fire, model specific replacement coals ( preformed shaped blocks ) are going for £100-£200, whilst individual 'coals' are being offered for approx £1 each. Is there any reason I Shouldn't attempt to make up the display using the individual coals?

It's my intention to arrange a gas maintenance check so saftey is taken care of

Many thanks in anticipation

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The arrangement of the coals is purely for decorative effect. Putting them in the wrong place will not allow the flame to heat them to red heat where required for best appearance. Why not put the £100 towards a new gas fire with an enclosed front (glass panel) which will be more efficient as less non combustion air is drawn up the flue.

3. Radders

Radders Member

Hi thanks for reply, it has a glass screen and other than the screen wanting a clean and the coals replaced the fire is good for a few years yet.

For the sake of £20/£30 quidish may have a go and try and replicate the layout, do you think?

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Yes, as the gas fire has a screen and is probably a higher efficiency model, go for it. I am not gas safe registered, if you are unsure then consult a gas safe type.

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

This really depends on the make and model of gas fire.
    Some coals need to be in a specific location due to the burner.