Gas fire for precast flue

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by dan_m2k, Dec 2, 2017.

1. dan_m2k

dan_m2k Member

So guys, my despite us replacing the boiler and tank at a fair old cost this year, she’s keen on a gas fire, so that it’s ‘cosy’. I find the heat chucked out from the massive 1200mm double skin rad cosy, but who am I to argue?

Anyway. When we moved in in March, it had a lovely ‘stuck on’ seventies gas fire mated to the precast flue which we hated so removed it, capped off the gas and plastered over. It’s a 70s Barrett house. How stupid of us. In fairness, most of the fitters told me that we’d struggle to find a ‘nice’ fire compatible with the flue.

The local gas showroom reckons a ‘class two’ fire will work and will relieve us of a wedge to stick in a fancy fire, mantle, back and hearth.

But I can’t help thinking that they’re pulling our pants down on the price of the fires even compared to those at the likes of screwfix but don’t have any knowledge of which brands to go for.

So, I’m after some recommendations of gas fires - brands etc. And even any places that you’d recommend for whole packages. We do not have a chimney breast, just the precast flue.

Cheers.

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Active Member

I assume you want to fit a 'Living flame' fire with coals or logs. We have 2 fitted to a clay lined flue both work well. In hindsight I would have chosen a fire with a glass panel over the front, this makes them more efficient and less likely to 'spill over' flue gasses during the initial warm up period. My advice to you would be to buy a fire with the best looks/ efficiency, your wife will be the arbiter on the looks, you must then fall in line with efficiency. Go on the web and take a look, now is not a good time to buy as the prices will be high, do it in March.

3. dan_m2k

dan_m2k Member

So, after punching a hole in the freshly plastered wall, the fitter reckons the flue starter blocks aren’t to current regs and there’s no spares available for my seventies Barratt box.

It looks to be to the 675mm that the regs states but I’m no mood to argue, so I reckon it’s a bio ethanol fire for us.

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Active Member

Then line the flue, the bio ethanol fire will just create a lot of condensation in the house.