Gas Hob above drawer unit / heat shield required ..

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Cack3r, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Cack3r

Cack3r New Member

Hi,

I've had a gas hob fitted to my worktop and the fitter asked me what i was putting below it. I said a kitchen unit with three drawers. He mentioned that new regs mean i have to put a heat retardant/heat shield between the hob and the drawers.

He said a 4mm sheet of aluminium would suffice and there's space to accomodate it.

Just, where do i get such a thing ... i've trawled the web and there's no mention of the regs or retailers that sell such a 'heat shield'.

Some please wipe my @rse for me :p

Cheers,

Cacker

2. russ295

russ295 New Member

first time i have heard of that, fitted loads just like that and never had my corgi guy or anybody else mention owt, could try builing control to see if they can shed any light, what does it say in the fitting instructions, they usually overide any regs.

russ

3. Cack3r

Cack3r New Member

Hi,

The corgi guy did mention they were introduced only this december. He was basically saying that more and more hobs are being put over kitchen units rather than undertop ovens.

He said it mostly protects against anything in the draw poking up and doing anything to the hob.

Will check with BC and instructions, as you said.

Cheers,

Cacker

4. gint

gint Member

only do it if its in the <u></u>manufacturers instructions. there isnt many hobs that state "heat shields" to be fitted, so if its not in hob instructions do not fit a shield. manufacturers instructions is the bible. dont listen to diy ers

5. i fit

i fit New Member

Forget corgi. Go by the manufacturers instructions. If it don't say it, don't do it.

I have had this on a few hobs but it has always been 'recommended' that a board be placed under the hob.

6. Cack3r

Cack3r New Member

I've checked the instructions and it states -

"If the hob is to be installed above a cupboard or drawer it will be necessary to fit a heat resistant board below the base of the hob on the underside of the work surface"

Bugger. I've also just rang around all the DIY stores, Plumbers and Plumbers' Merchants. 80% don't know what i'm talking about and the rest just don't stock it :(

Bugger^2

7. britishblue

britishblue New Member

I think B & Q stock small sheets of aluminium. Otherwise look in you local Yellow Pages for metal fabricators, I'm sure that they will sell you a small piece.

BB

8. Stretch

Stretch New Member

I must have fitted hundreds of hobs above cupboards and drawers in my time.

Coincidentally, the number of my customers who have called me back to say their cupboards have caught fire is a big fat ZERO

9. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Coincidentally, the number of my customers who have
    called me back to say their cupboards have caught
    fire is a big fat ZERO

Well said, Stretch.

But then again, if they'd died in a house fire, they probably wouldn't call to complain ;)

10. i fit

i fit New Member

Someone once told me its something to do with the slamming of the door or drawer.
    The flame may go out.
    Can't see it myself but you never know.
    I've never fitted one in 6 years of being corgi reg.

11. Cack3r

Cack3r New Member

Well after much hunting, i checked eBay and low-and-behold, around 30 sheets of Aluminium of various thicknesses and sizes.

Ordered a 3mm piece, bought a metal jigsaw bit, bingo. Installed it last night. done and done. :/

£10 + £9 delivery.

12. woody.

woody. New Member

I've checked the instructions and it states -

"If the hob is to be installed above a cupboard or
    drawer it will be necessary to fit a heat resistant
    board below the base of the hob on the underside of
    the work surface"

I think you've just wasted your money.

13. woody.

woody. New Member

And your time.

14. jammin

jammin New Member

i have been corgi 4 15 years and never come apon this before what is the make of hob

15. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

I have to say I come across this quite regularly on the manufacturers gas hob installation I think this is why often in showrooms ( and on some fits) the top drawer is always fixed shut. Although it is specified by the manufacturer, the customer does not want to loose their main drawer and I have found nothing definaite in the Corgi regs, so I always leave the drawer in and do not fit a heat resistant divider. Or maybe I'm just a lazt ****.
    K.

16. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

17. Cack3r

Cack3r New Member

With all due respect woody, the aluminium sheet should suffice. I don't pretend it will have the same properties as an 'asbestos' like substance that will significantly reduce the heat pass through. But, the underside of the gas hob is pretty much sealed anyway. Most heat will go up rather than down anyway. It will provide the protection i need. So hardly a waste of money or time.

1) Stops prying hands touching the hob underside
    2) Stops anything in the draws intefering with the underside of the hob .. and to be honest the gas pipe is exposed without the 'aluminium sheet'.
    3) The aluminium won't combust

Aluminium sheet was recommended by the Corgi fitter, so i guess in light of not being able to buy a heat resistant board from anyone, i've done what he's suggested.

As for the actual hob, it's a Zanussi GF 782C.

It's clearly stated in the manual about the heat resistant board. I haven't interpreted what they've said, it was a direct quote.

18. Stretch

Stretch New Member

I've also read some fridge manufacturers instructions that a 25mm gap should be left all around the appliance to allow for air circulation. So what happens when most kitchen only have a 600mm - 610mm gap. The manufacturers don't get the sale. It's just a disclaimer for a poorly manufactured product.

Let's face it. If you are installing an appliance into a combustible material the the appliance should be manufactured to minimise the risk of fire to it's surroundings within normal use.

Complete tosh on their part. Shame on them.

19. woody.

woody. New Member

Aluminium sheet was recommended by the Corgi fitter,
    so i guess in light of not being able to buy a heat
    resistant board from anyone, i've done what he's
    suggested.

It's clearly stated in the manual about the heat
    resistant board. I haven't interpreted what they've
    said, it was a direct quote.

Hi
    No disrespect but -

1, The Corgi fitter should have installed the hob to MI and not left you to fit the heat shield.
    2, Aluminium is not heat resistant, it will to some degree transfer and store heat.

20. PDPS

PDPS New Member

2, Aluminium is not heat resistant,

Correct.

it will to some degree transfer and store heat.

It is, possibly, the most heat conductive material available.