gas hob connection

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by slide, Apr 3, 2006.

1. slide

slide Member

Done a beling gas hob installation for a friend. I am connecting it using 15mm rigid copper and have included an isolating cock.

What baffles me here is that supplied in the kit with the hob to connect to the gas pipe you get an the female threaded elbow which connects to the nut on the appliance (using 1 x green fibre washer) and then two possible brass connectors to go onto the male thread of this elbow, one which allows 15mm copper to be connected using compression and one which I think is male threaded 1/2inch. However, you can't just use the compression type on its own because the female thread on this one is too deep for the male thread on the elbow to screw all the way in. Hence, you have to use all the supplied fitted for connection to copper, which needs 3 fibre washers. The pack only has 2 fibre washers in.

My conclusion: a fibre washer is missing! Just wondering whether this is the case or whether ive got mixed up somewhere.

ps NO i am not Corgi Registered but I take my ACS in a month from now.

2. kimble

kimble New Member

Confused! Not Competent (yet). Me thinks you shouldn't be playing!!!!!

3. kimble

kimble New Member

Seeing as you are playing, wouldn't it have been better to use something like a micropoint bayonet hose which would probably screw straight into hob inlet (couldn't swear on it not seeing the hob)then also you wouldn't need a iso valve as the bayonet connection is sufficient

4. slide

slide Member

lol... who's confused Kimble? Connections to gas hobs shouldn't be via flexi-hose - it has to be rigid or semi rigid copper.

5. kimble

kimble New Member

you can stop laughing now as the flexible hoses cannot be used on any flued appliance and as you know a gas hob is flueless. Also reg 26(2)

6. kimble

kimble New Member

Sorry apoligies as it's not exactly readily movable Reg 5 para59. I withdraw my advice

7. kimble

kimble New Member

I'm now sat with my "D" cap on

8. slide

slide Member

hahaha don't worry i've heard enough people talking about the hob they just fitted on a flexible hose.... it seems to be a frequent topic in college.

The conclusion we came to was that because gas hobs often sit in the worktop above ovens, a flexi-hose would be subject to temperatures beyond it's design, hence we use rigid pipe. BUT, i have also read that rigid pipe can also be effected by too high a temperature, which is why i've chosen a suitable route for the pipe. :)

9. kimble

kimble New Member

What if the hob wasn't sat above an oven? As one of my neighbours was fitted with a flexi and that is sat above a set of pan drawers. The oven is totally seperate.

10. slide

slide Member

If it isn't sat above an oven then it's unlikely to cause any harm because there isn't going to be any heat around that area. The whole point of a flex-hose when used with a free standing gas cooker is to allow the cooker to be disconnected by the consumer to allow access for cleaning.

CORGI, as we know, can be quite specific, which is why I would still make the connection using rigid pipe unless the manufacturers instructions said otherwise. Those words 'Manufacturers Instructions' are so so important. ;)

11. doitall

doitall New Member

lol... who's confused Kimble? Connections to gas
    hobs shouldn't be via flexi-hose - it has to be rigid
    or semi rigid copper.

It's perfectly exceptable to connect a hob to a flexible hose unless the manufacturer say different.