Gas Hobs and flexible hoses

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by billybeag, Nov 7, 2005.

1. billybeag

billybeag New Member

Is it now illegal to use a flexible bayonet-fitting hose on a gas hob or freestanding gas cooker?
    The reason I ask is I am fitting a kitchen, professionally not DIY, and am supplying all the fittings for the hob etc.
    Fitting is being done by a CORGI registered plumber, it has been a while since I had a kitchen job with gas. I had already purchased the hose from screwfix, if these hoses are illegal to use, then surely the supple of them should be discontinued?
    It seems to me that continued supply of these items will just encourage DIY installation.

2. saint dave

saint dave New Member

You can use a flexible cooker hose under certain conditions. These being that they must not be exposed to mechanical damage, IE hit by a drawer etc. Or be exposed to temperatures exceeding 70 degrees IE behind a built in oven. The hob manufacturers instructions must also state that a hose can be used.
    Having said that it is not considered good practice within the trade to use a hose, the best method is a rigid fix with an isolation tap.
    These hoses are avaliable so as cookers can be installed.

3. In most cases the hose can be used on a free standing cooker but cannot be used on a hob.

Many CORGI registered people do not think that gas fittings and appliances should be sold to the non registered.

I once went to a flat where a flexible hose on a hob had leaked and the resulting fire had caused about £3000 damage to the kitchen. Oddly enough the insurance paid for a new cooker but I dont think the owners were claiming much else, they could not speak a word of English.

Tony Glazier

4. billybeag

billybeag New Member

hmm Okay thanks, more or less what I had gleaned from these forums. I suspect the insistance that they are illegal by the plumber is just either overemphasis or an attempt to get some extra work out of me.
    In any event I think rigid pipework with an isolation valve specific to this appliance is the best route forward.
    I have experienced difficulty obtaining gas fittings from the plumbcentre and others i the past, though not CORGI registered, I do all my own and customers H2O plumbing myself and as such, buying the gasfitting materials for an employed CORGI fitter to fit in his own time, is often the easiest solution for all concerned.
    Thanks again.