Gas meter earth bonding

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RDS, Apr 26, 2012.

1. RDS

RDS New Member

Hi have been told my gas meter is not earth bonded so how should i  do  it. As can not see away to get earth cable from meter to fuse box  earth.  Can you earth the gas pipe near the boiler to a water pipe that  is  earthed to the main fuse box earth. What are the rules and regs on  this.  Would be a big job to take from meter. Help

2. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

If you have a main bonding earth cable connected to the water pipe then you could join your gas bond to that ( the connection is required to be crimped or some such method that effectively equates to one continuuous condutor ) that's the theory , but hey ho beggars can't be choosers. 

3. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

This is similar to a question that I have. As I understand it, The regulations say the Gas pipe has to have the earth bond connection within 600mm of the Gas Meter, The problem is the Gas Meter is at the other end of the house to the consumer unit. The gas pipe does travel through the house very close to the Consumer unit which would be the easiest way to connect to it but, It seems the rules won't allow this.

I guess the real answer is to put the earth clamp on the pipe inside the External Gas meter box( so that it is accessible) and then put the cable through the wall under the floor level where it can be routed back to the CU ?

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

600mm or as close as practicable is what it says.