Gas Meter Earth Bonding

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Combo, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Combo

Combo Member

Had a new gas meter fitted today, by SGN Metering. Got left a card advising that:

"It appears that the gas installation pipework fitted at your property may not have Electrical Equipotential bonding correctly fitted". I am required .... to advise you that the Electrical Installation should be checked by the local electricity company or by a competent electrical contractor."

There is no bonding on the "house side" of the meter, as indicated there should be by the picture on the back of the card.

House is only 10yrs old, in Scotland. Have the regulations changed since it was built ? Diagram states earth cable should connect to consumer unit, which will be quite difficult to achieve as meter is two rooms away across the house. Meter is in an external plastic box set in the wall. Does this work REALLY require doing? And is there any other option to achieve the required bonding ?

2. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Yes, what they're saying is correct, there should be a 10mm bonding cable from your side of the gas meter to the consumer unit/main earthing terminal, also the water should be bonded from your side of the main stop-cock to the main earthing terminal.

3. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I see I can't say stop-cok on here, that's a joke considering some of the language on here recently!

4. Adam Amp

Adam Amp New Member

stopcock, stop*, stop*, stop......

[Edited by: admin]

5. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Ahh, I see, no spaces is the answer!
    stopcock, stopcock, stopcock.!!!!!!!

6. syholl

syholl New Member

No surprise really. Nobody seems to give a damn about bonding gas and water pipes.
    I would estimate only 20% of the houses i visit are up to the current standard. Most don't have anything at all, or have been disconnected by a stupid plumber at some point.

I went to a house the other day, where the main stopcock was bonded correctly. A plumber had been in and moved the stopcock, and just left the earth hanging out of the wall.... Idiots...!!! They should be responsible for it if they disconnect it....

7. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I have to admit I only bonded the gas in my house yesterday, been living here for 20 years, suddenly developed a concience as i'm always telling customers that I need to bond their gas and water!

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I prefer Stop Cock, Stop Cock, Stop Cock! me sen!

9. fabregas

fabregas New Member

At least the meter fitter advised you about the bonding. The pair of clowns who changed my gas meter just left the 10mm swinging in mid air.

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Krusty! :O

U should know better!

11. sysparks

sysparks New Member

If its only 10 yrs old, it might already be bonded, but perhaps the gas man didnt see it.

Trace the pipe from meter to where it comes in house.

Is there a 10mm earth going out from the consumer unit position?