Gas meter question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mark broadbent, Aug 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mark broadbent

mark broadbent New Member

Hi, I will be doing some work in my parents bathroom soon, oddly they have a gas meter on a shelf in a cupboard in the bathroom. The cupboard is rotten from years of not having an extractor fan. The meter has solid pipe connected to it, not the flexi type. My question is, should this pipework support the gas meter for the short time it will take to rip out (carefully) the old cupboard and put a new one in its place? I don't need the meter moving. I just need to replace the shelf it's on and the cupboard it's built into? Any advice gratefully received!!

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Gas meter is normally supported by a bracket, can you post a photo?

3. mark broadbent

Not there at the moment,so can't post a picture, but im pretty sure it's not supported by a bracket, it's sitting on the wooden shelf that's rotten.

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Can you support it from above in any way?.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Was quite common to sit gas meter on a wooden shelf, had one at a place I lived at when a nipper, shelf collasped during the night, left gas meter hanging by one pipe, had fire brigade & gas board out, great excitement for a 5 year old.:)

upload_2017-8-30_17-54-7.jpeg

6. mark broadbent

I might be able to, though the whole cupboard needs to come out really for a new one to be built, so there wouldn't be much to tie something to, I could try to take the top of the cupboard out first and screw some hooks to the ceiling, would the pipe work not support it then? I don't know how heavy a gas meter is...

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might be lucky & have meter moved on safety grounds FOC.

8. mark broadbent

Who would I speak to about that? We've been in touch with national grid and they want just shy of a grand to move the meter so that's a no go.. would it be them again and claim it's unsafe?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  10. mark broadbent

Sadly they aren't eligible for the register. Also as there is much wrong with the meter itself I don't think I will have any luck getting it moved FOC. Does anyone know how much a gas meter weighs roughly?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Post a photo of the meter when you can.

12. Epowerflush

Epowerflush New Member

yeah, if you could see a pic of the meter, i could give you an idea

13. mark broadbent

No probs, it could be a few days though.. watch this space...

14. Is this shelf part of the cupboard, or is it one installed specifically to support that meter - as in KIAB's photo #5?

15. mark broadbent

It's a shelf inside the cupboard, it's made of 18mm ply that's rotted, the cupboard is covered in tiles and forms part of the bathroom walls etc, it's a flat so it hides the soil pipe from the two floors above along with the gas pipe that serves them too. The meter has steel pipe coming off the large gas pipe and has steel pipe feeding into the flat's gas pipe.

16. DannyDoLittle

DannyDoLittle Active Member

I've literally just had an internal gas meter moved to the external wall, granted it was only moved a couple of meters. This was done through National Grid also, the cost of it was around 450, however because it was classed as a "back to back" job (less than 5mtr) they also issued a refund. They charge you the full whack on the job then issue a refund should it not be a complicated job.

The disconnected from outside, and tied straight back into it, diverting the mains supply into the meter on the external wall. The internal pipework is then no longer part of the system and can be removed at your own leisure.

Personally, I'd get back on to National Grid and ask them about the possibility of the refund and go from there. The job was done in only a few hours.

17. mark broadbent

IMG_0354.JPG IMG_0353.JPG Hopefully these photos come through...

Attached Files:

18. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

never mind the meter what about the vim on the shelf class