Gas meter relocation with Cadent expensive!!

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Troy Dalton, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton New Member

Hi all
    We have just moved house due to covid, and have also just had our first baby - so we’re beyond broke! The gas meter is inside the kitchen cupboard and we want to move it out the front. Cadent has quoted us £1,786!! Any ideas how to get this done cheaper? Ideas we’ve read on this forum so far, but not sure what’s best:
    - tap the piping with a hammer somewhere so it starts leaking gas, then have them move it out the front for free.
    - get it disconnected by current gas supplier then pay Cadent for a ‘new connection’ (apparently this works out cheaper?).
    - find somebody to do the excavation work to lower the cost by about a third
    - see if the fact that we’re on the priority register due to our newborn gets us a meter move FOC (but pretty sure this is only for OAP / disabled).

Anyone have any better ideas/ know if any of the above works at all?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Not wishing to question your choice but why do you want to move it unless you have insufficient cupboard space? They are generally a fit and forget item so shouldn't cause an issue where it is. I have had two properties where the gas meter was in a kitchen cupboard.

Congratulations on your first baby. If you think you're broke now.....

3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

please don't tell me you're considering option 1!!!!

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Had my gas meter moved, from garage to cupboard under the stairs, cost around £1000 if I recall, then had to call plumber to connect meter to existing pipework. You can save money by doing the digging yourself, but you won't know where to dig!

5. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton New Member

Seemed to work for someone else on this forum, and if it saves me 2k then I’m not ruling it out!

6. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton New Member

Cadent said they can reconnect as part of the price. Had a quote from a plumber who said it would cost 300-400 to reconnect so sounds more expensive then if they did it themselves!

7. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton New Member

The cupboard is in the central wall in the kitchen, which we need to have removed. Hence the gas meter and pipe work going up to the first floor need to be relocated.

8. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton New Member

(Expensive) Quote options from Cadent:
    1. £1,786.80 – including Cadent to do Excavation. + reconnection of meter & Internal

2. £1,608.12 - including Cadent to do Exc. – GSE to do reconnection of meter & Internal

3. £1,197.16 – customer to Exc. + cadent to do reconnection of meter & Internal

4. £1,018.48 - customer to Exc. – GSE to do reconnection of meter & Internal

GSE quote for option 4 is £400 to reconnect and £350 for internal pipe work to stove etc. So still works out the same price, then also have excavation still to do on top of this (which I wouldn’t have a clue who to ask to do this)?

9. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton New Member

There must be a cheaper way!!

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Irrelevant that it's a previous post that has to be one of the downright stupidest things written on these forums and by God you're normally spoilt for choice. Bad enough if you didn't have a newborn baby and you're even considering this? If you don't have the money just wait until you do, rather than scamming the Gas suppliers and putting yourselves and neighbours in danger.

FlyByNight, WillyEckerslike and I-Man like this.
  11. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I'm wondering if the cost is high as there is real digging to be done. My work was done by using a mole, so only digging couple of holes then feeding the mole through. If people have to dig a trench, especially if there's concrete above, its gonna take some real effort.

How long/far is the new pipe going to be?

12. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton New Member

I have the money. That’s not the point. I’m not the one doing the scamming. Cadent wants £1018 to put a cap on the end of a pipe, undo the bolts on the meter, and tighten the bolts back up at the new location - 30mins work maybe!??? Not happening.

13. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton New Member

It’s a cut-back. So just moving the meter to the front wall of the kitchen where the pipe enters the property already (assuming very minimal excavation required if any). Then to connect to the stove it’s less than a meter from there. To connect to the boiler is less than 2m as it’s also in the kitchen.

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

In your first post you stated you are "beyond broke". If that's what Cadent charge then as frustrating as it is then that's the price irrelevant for the length of time taken. Why does the wall need to come out, are there any alternatives?

15. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

It does sound expensive but not sure you have any choice.

16. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton New Member

Yes that is the price, but it’s not justified, hence my recent emails to Ofgem, national grid etc for an explanation and alternative options. Beyond broke, but enough borrowed money to undertake the work required. Issues with the wall - same price to repair then to remove and open up a very small room.

17. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Your gas engineer prices seem way high.
    I’ve done similar work when meters have been moved for about £300.

Option 3 seems decent. But if you don’t fancy digging then option 1.