Gas pipe burial or cover

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Matt Cheesey, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Matt Cheesey

Matt Cheesey New Member

Good afternoon all,

i'm in the process of converting a downstairs porch into a downstairs WC and have a slight snag.

Inside the property is a gas pipe entrance, a bend - then it joins a steel pipe to head under my concrete slab and into the property. (Picture included)

My problem is that BCO wants timber a frame to be created inside the porch and then a floating floor will be installed, and end up 1" above the pipe level. The BCO has told me he won't get involved with gas and leave it to a plumber to decide what to do.

To me it seems an issue to have the area a) insulated and b) protected and c) ventilated all in one go.

My current thoughts are to build a ply box for that corner of the room (6" by 9" or so), attach it to the wall then build the stud walls around it , perhaps with some screw protection (metal lining?) and then for extra security replace one of the bricks with a vent brick - just encase of leaks. Technically the pipe will not be accessible. Heck maybe it's a bad idea but to avoid a cold spot I thought about putting some rockwool in to avoid a 9" cold spot in the room's corner.

Any help, appreciated.

Attached Files: