Gas pipe location

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by NickBooth, Aug 29, 2017.

1. NickBooth

NickBooth New Member

Before I ask the question, I am not performing this work, just want to know before my Gas guy comes back in a few weeks as to whats possible.
    I am extending my garage, and the boiler is currently on the single skin wall in the Garage. I am having it moved to the other end of the garage when I have now built an internal blockwork wall. The gas, has to be moved and was going to route it along the new blockwork as it has to go over a door to get to the new position. I know the gas pipe can be routed outside, but will only have about 1 bricks height above the door to the bottom of the soffits. Can I actually have the pipe run underneath the overhang of the trusses and effectively in between the soffit and the tiles and then use vented soffit? This would be much better than having it visible either inside or out?
    I know I could wait until the guy comes back in 2 weeks, but want to check all my measurements before he gets if that's the case.

Thanks

Nick

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

No idea on regs, but assuming the gas pipe is 22mm copper I wouldn't have through its an issue where its routed as long as its (a) secure (b) protected if/where it goes through brickwork.

3. NickBooth

NickBooth New Member

At the moment the gas meter is on the outside of the wall right behind the boiler. Basically it will no longer have to go through the wall as before, but will have to do so further along the wall. Its the only Gas device in the house so no other pipes will need routing anywhere so its just the question on the regs I guess.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've got 22mm copper gas pipe on the outside of my house, about a 3-4m run. Its sleeved where it goes through through the wall, but otherwise just clipped.

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Just to clarify, the pipe you're extending runs between the boiler and the gas meter?

6. NickBooth

NickBooth New Member

it will do yes. As I said a Gas Engineer will be doing the work and we had planned for him to route it inside the new extension but this would be straight up from the Gas box outside, up the wall, into the cavity where the new Roof Trusses will be, along about 5 meters and down and back through the wall to connect to the boiler in its new position.

7. NickBooth

NickBooth New Member

[​IMG]

Hope this picture shows up, if not the link is https://1drv.ms/i/s!At7JIREkb5rDjfhOgBYzKGRomfyopA

The wall is currently a Gable end, the Gable will be removed and the pipe run over the back door (not there yet) The picture was taken roughly where the boiler will be placed

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I have seen many gas pipes run externally on houses, what a mess it looks too. Apparently the regs have changed recently to discourage this practice as mechanical damage has become an issue. Worth checking.

9. NickBooth

NickBooth New Member

Yeah I know, but in this case it will have to rise up from the meter box into the soffit area, will then be protected by the soffit overhang and will only need to come down a few inches from the soffit to slip in above the boiler in its new position. At worst, we will see 3 foot going up. I will have to call my guy and ask him now anyway as not found an answer elsewhere