Gas pipe??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bigjules, Sep 11, 2009.

1. bigjules

bigjules New Member

Apart from drilling a hole and striking a match, how can I tell if a buried gas pipe is live??

2. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

External..don't touch it, ask the gas board to investigate.
    Internal..treat as live, find the end, turn off supply open the end. This assumes you ar competent to work with gas, if not, get a plumber in.
    Have you worked out where it would go/come from? this may give you a clue. Also, how do you know it's gas?

3. bigjules

bigjules New Member

'Tis external, buried as in adjacent to and parallel with new trench footing.

It runs across the front of a pair of semis - both of which have their gas meters on the flank elevations, so maybe the individual supplies are t'eed.

As to how I know it's gas - I don't. However, the pipe is at ambient temperature and (maybe) would be colder if water - in addition I've tried the old screwdriver in the ear type stethoscope and can hear nothing when cold tap turned on in either property.

4. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

I am presuming this is metal or the colour would have given a clue. Just check to see if the incoming gas to the house is also metal, and either the same size or smaller, then get the gas board to visit. It is possible that it is an earlier water pipe but this depends on the age of the property.