Gas pipes - What are the rules

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Bridgewarden, Dec 8, 2003.

1. racitup

racitup New Member

Well this thread is full of people protecting their own interests at the expense of the truth huh!?
    The regulations:
    3(1): "No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so."
    There isn't any definition of 'competence', so that means it is judged by a court of law should there be an incident. But if you've done a washing up liquid test, and smelt for gas after switching it on you should be fine and dandy.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/regulation/3/made
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/regulation/5/made
    HSE guidance:
    52 For the purposes of GSIUR, ‘work’ includes do-it-yourself activities, work undertaken as a favour for friends and relatives, and work for which there is no expectation of reward or gain, eg voluntary activity for charities. This means that anyone carrying out such work must have the necessary competence, as required by regulation 3(1). However, membership of an HSE-approved class of persons (under regulation 3(3)) is required only by businesses carrying out gas-fitting work.
    83 Anyone who does work on a gas fitting or gas storage vessel must be competent to do so (whether or not they are required to be a member of an approved class of persons). Therefore, do-it-yourself gas engineers and those performing favours for friends and relatives all need to have the required competence. The level and range of competence should match the full extent of work done, but needs only to be sufficient for and relevant to that work.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  2. racitup

racitup New Member

EDIT: HSE citation included
    Well this thread is full of people protecting their own interests at the expense of the truth huh!?
    The regulations:
    3(1): "No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so."
    There isn't any definition of 'competence', so that means it is judged by a court of law should there be an incident. But if you've done a washing up liquid test, and smelt for gas after switching it on you should be fine and dandy.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/regulation/3/made
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/2451/regulation/5/made

HSE guidance:
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l56.htm
    52 For the purposes of GSIUR, ‘work’ includes do-it-yourself activities, work undertaken as a favour for friends and relatives, and work for which there is no expectation of reward or gain, eg voluntary activity for charities. This means that anyone carrying out such work must have the necessary competence, as required by regulation 3(1). However, membership of an HSE-approved class of persons (under regulation 3(3)) is required only by businesses carrying out gas-fitting work.
    83 Anyone who does work on a gas fitting or gas storage vessel must be competent to do so (whether or not they are required to be a member of an approved class of persons). Therefore, do-it-yourself gas engineers and those performing favours for friends and relatives all need to have the required competence. The level and range of competence should match the full extent of work done, but needs only to be sufficient for and relevant to that work.

Banallsheds likes this.
  3. Mdebatti

Mdebatti New Member

Thanks racitup for a well referenced answer. I might say the only one over the 15 years this thread has been going.

Obviously lots of people being protective of their bacon as you say...

The issue is obviously having to fork out for training and registration. So having a diy'er doing the bulk of the job may seem a lot of (potential) bother for not much return.

It was quite entertaining to read the patronising & entitled replies of the corgi guys who wouldn't certify diy installations.

It's a bit like us diy'er saying you all trade people are driving around in land rover and not bothering to quote for a <£5k job.

So I'm sure there are lots of horror stories with trades having to rectify DIY mistakes, but the same can be said about pros not following regs in all instances. Not to mention the cases where the DIY'er
    has done all the research and done a superior job to that of a tradesman just because it was his home and could afford to invest the time to do a proper job!

4. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

From a an electricians standpoint, when we test an installation, we test ALL of it unless omissions to the test are reported on the result sheet. Surely the same is true for gas testing, the tester will accept responsibility for all of the installation unless otherwise stated on the result sheet. I would suspect such omissions are not allowed or must be isolated for gas. Now, the test will include all pipework, new, old, steel, copper, flexibles and pipework that may have originally been used for other purposes such as water or air. If the tester is willing to accept the pipe run installed by someone else, even a non gas type registered person (as will be the case if the pipe was originally intended for water for instance), then it must be OK and within the rules to accept a new run that contains fresh air, provided that it complies with installation methods and does not leak. I see no issues. This is just a 'Jobswoth' issue. I now wait for the fallout.

5. Riddor

Riddor Member

When Mrs Smith runs of gas she puts credit on the meter purges through the cooker so she must be corgi then

6. Mark Clements

Mark Clements New Member

Hi Guys,

i have a question, new block of flats, with a Gas service, we are using Trac Pipe from the meter located out side, then goes to a riser and rises up 2 floors. so the overall length is 38m. so we buy a 50m coil which is really expensive and now have an off cut that is no use. Does anybody know if it is permitted to join in the incoming Gas main. Trac pipe can be jointed, but not sure if it is permitted, any advice

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The fact you are using a thread this old to post your question tell's me you are NOT gas safe registered. The question itself, tells me are not gas safe registered.
    So, pray tell me, how on earth have you even managed to get a gas installation job in this day and age without already knowning the answer to your own question ? :mad:

8. Mark Clements

Mark Clements New Member

Kitfit, you are correct, i am not a gas engineer, we are helping the developer with this project, we are not personally installing as you are quite correct we are not qualified, or gas safe. i wanted to get an opinion on using trac pipe as there seems to be so much waste if joints are not allowed

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

If the contract specs say you have to use Trac Piipe, then that is what you have to use regardless of the amount of watse pipe. As you are only "laying" the pipe, it's not your problem. I suspect your problem is you had no idea how much Trac Pipe would cost and how little you might need when you quoted.

10. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Copied from the Trac pipe website - TracPipe® is supplied in sizes from DN12 to DN50 with lengths of up to 90m as standard with longer lengths available as special orders. TracPipe® KITS are available in sizes DN15, DN22, DN28 and DN32 in 5, 10 and 15 metre lengths.

11. Mech me

Mech me New Member

IGEM and BS6891

Yes you can run gas in a loft space, there is so many observational factors that conclude to compliance

12. Bob Rathbone

I know I will be shot down in flames for this by some, but here goes. My son's house does not yet have a gas meter fitted, their is a supply and a meter enclosure outside. I have re installed the boiler after moving it to a new location, flue positioning was closely observed, and I have run 3 metres of 22mm pipe from the boiler to the gas meter enclosure, through a sleeve and fitted the union for the meter, no gas yet. We have made a booking with a local Gas Safe eng who has seen the job and is willing to certify it when the CH is filled with water, part of his acceptance to certify was that the pipe run was short, only one appliance and he could see the pipe throughout it's entire length. I know that I have fitted a pipe with a clear intent that it will carry gas, however, it will not carry gas until it is certified safe by the Gas safe eng. Have I broken any rules?

13. adgjl

adgjl Screwfix Select

I don’t believe so, as it is not physically connected to a supply of gas.

14. Bob Rathbone

adgjl, thanks.