Gas Regs re meter!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by leechy, Nov 19, 2006.

1. leechy

leechy New Member

Been asked to fit a kitchen, it's not been designed as the customer has bought second hand units, a right pain in the backside for me!

The problem is that in the corner of the room is the gas meter. There are two cupboards which will meet at this point, my question is what are the regs to boxing in a meter?

I know there has to be access for service and reading but is there any dimensions to work to!

2. doitall

doitall New Member

Not that I know of, provided it is accessable, without dismantling the kitchen, you can read it and its ventilated

3. smithp60

smithp60 New Member

+ the fuse box is not in the same cupboard!!!

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Don't you just hate gas meters under the sink, right so and so when you have to change the taps!

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Least ya can check for leaks with ya Blowtorch though eh?

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

+ the fuse box is not in the same cupboard!!!

This has go me thinking, what are the exact regs on this?

I have gas + electrics in my under-stairs cupboard, along with the combi and a load of coats etc. The cupboard is fairly large (a bit like the harry potter one) but has no external ventilation particularly.

7. Vroom

Vroom Member

Similar thing here. I bought a house in 1999 and paid to have the gas connected and a meter installed. They put that in the same cupboard as the electric meter and fusebox.

8. leechy

leechy New Member

Started something now!

The fuse box is in another room so not a problem here. Will have to make sure there is enough ventilation, if anybody does have any dimensions to work to it would be much appreciated.

9. smithp60

smithp60 New Member

This is taken from my Gas Safety (G1) book, sorry I do not have specific dimensions.

Location.
    Generally, meters shall not be located: -

Where they may be subject to extremes of tempreture.
    Where food is stored.
    Where they may be exposed to accidental damage.
    Where they may cause an obstruction.
    In damp or corrosive atmospheres.
    In close proximity to electrical wiring.
    Where they will constitute a danger to anyone.

You may also wish to note the following paragraph: -

In buildings of two or more floors above ground levelno meter shall be installed in or under a stairway or in any passage which provides the only means of escape in the event of a fire.

10. Shandy0146

Shandy0146 New Member

Specific dimensions are "at least 150mm away from electricity meters and associated excess current controls or fuse boxes".

At least 25mm (50 where possible) away from electricity supply and distribution cables and from any other metallic services.
    Unless of course the whole council estate is "out of spec" then transco and the council don't wanna know !. hope that helps.cheers Pete.