"general" question about plumbers day rates

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dpoison, Apr 30, 2019.

1. dpoison

dpoison Member

Hi All

I appreciate this is an open ended question with many variables to factor in but what would be considered a fair day rate for a plumber being asked to replace a bath and add a new mixer and waste?

Thank you

2. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Some will want £150 others £250.

Heat likes this.
  3. dpoison

dpoison Member

Hi, thanks for the response, I've been quoted in excess of £600 which seems high hence my post!

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Why are you asking for a day rate?

Just ask them for a price.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

£200 to £300 i would reckon. Where are you?

6. dpoison

dpoison Member

Yes, agreed, I'm assuming day rates end up being part of the overall equation but in fact it's the price quoted for the job.

7. dpoison

dpoison Member

South East

8. just pumps

Which is it, day rate or job rate over how many days?

9. dpoison

dpoison Member

Hi Pumps

Job rate

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Old bath - cast iron, or just plastic or light steel? Makes a difference in the task.
    Tiles on walls well held on, a bit loose, or to be all removed?
    I would normally think of replacing a bath as about a days work. Some will be half a day, some might involve other issues and be a couple days, but normally one day at most will be lost in time.
    Plumbers rates should be £200 a day at least

11. just pumps

How many days estimated by plumber?

12. dpoison

dpoison Member

estimate is 2 to 3 days. current bathtub is cast iron, titling obviously not included in the quote

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Not seriously expensive then.
    Two man job at least to remove old bath and requires a lot of care to avoid damage to rest of house, door frames etc. Or they could risk breaking it with sledge hammer, but best not to if possible.
    I would guess a £400 labour job minimum, but get other quotes.
    Avoid some inexperienced plumber who might think cast iron bath is easy to remove.

14. dpoison

dpoison Member

Thanks Heat

I'm unsure as to whether two people will physically carry the work out, I'm assuming it's one person. The re-tiling is the extra expense I need to factor in here..

15. just pumps

Nothing is obvious unless stated

I'm unsure as to whether two people will physically carry the work out, I'm assuming it's one person. The re-tiling is the extra expense I need to factor in here..[/QUOTE]

Seems like you don`t know enough about the job requirements to question the cost, not being rude here but how can you question the costs with assumtions?

16. dpoison

dpoison Member

Seems like you don`t know enough about the job requirements to question the cost, not being rude here but how can you question the costs with assumtions?[/QUOTE]

A fair question and you're not being rude, I'm asking the learned here on the forum what their opinion is based on your collective experience. I've had a varied response to the question ranging from £300 to what I've bee quoted. As far as the job is concerned, it's moving a steel bathtub and replacing it with another with associated waste and mixer installation, how much more do I need to know??!!

17. just pumps

One man or two over how many days, is new bath same shape, height and size as old, any alterations required to either feed or waste pipes, floor or wall tiles to be altered, disposal of rubbish included? I don`t think £600 is wide of the mark for the South East but the South East is a big area!!!!
    Remember you said job rate based over 2-3days for £600.

18. dpoison

dpoison Member

Hey pumps, same size bathtub/dimensions, tiling will need to be done separately as assuming there will be an element of damage so price doesn't include retiling. Waste pipes and feeds are all staying the same, sussex based as opposed to London based :) It is a small bathroom so awkward space to be fair. (looks like a one person job over 2days - maybe 3)

19. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Are you certain the old bath is cast iron?
    Light steel baths can look very similar and have similar enamel finish as cast iron.
    If just an old steel bath it can be a job for one able person to tackle, but cast iron, no, as would definitely need some extra help for any moving of it.

20. dpoison

dpoison Member

could be a steel bath now that you mention it, the enamel has chipped in areas and it's definitely metal.