Generator cables - buried or overhead?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by omega1, Aug 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. omega1

omega1 New Member

Hi all,

Am looking at locating a generator directly outside our building (we own the land to the rear and it is an enclosed area, enclosed by secure fenced gates).

Must the generator feeds be buried to enter the building? Or can they run in overhead trays to enter the building above the false ceiling and to the switching gear?

The generator would be approx 100kva, three phase.

The preference would be to run the cables overhead.

Thanks.

2. chesterw

chesterw Well-Known Member

Makes no difference - electrically

3. omega1

omega1 New Member

Hi, thanks for your reply.

No, electrically I understand it won't.

I meant more from a compliance/regulatory point of view.

4. chesterw

You asked - Generator cables - buried or overhead?
    So I said - Makes no difference - electrically

Noise, might require special acoustic enclosure, oil storage gets very expensive due to leakage amelioration, easily picked up and stolen

5. omega1

omega1 New Member

For clarification, I mean from a conpliance/regulatory point of view, do the cables from the generator to the building have to be buried or can they run in overhead trays?

This is for a commercial premises.

Thank you.

6. chesterw

Ring your local council

7. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

What, if any, vehicle access is there to the area under the proposed cable run?

8. omega1

omega1 New Member

Thabks for your reply.

There is no vehicle access at all that would go over/under where the generator would be located (or the cable run). The gated enclosure leads directly to the back wall of our unit, so it is all enclosed.

My plan is to house the generator in the enclosed area and have cable trays at ceiling height and go directly into the back of the unit rather than having to have them buried underground from the generator into the unit.

It not sure if it is a requirement to bury them between the generator and the interior of the building or they are OK to go in a cable tray outside (then through the wall at ceiling height and travel in the false ceiling to the switching board).

9. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

No requirement for them to be buried.

omega1 likes this.
  10. omega1

omega1 New Member

Thank you, that is helpful, much appreciated.

11. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I remember doing some safety exam at work, and the exam book said run the cables over head and gave heights, but electrical books had a minimum height way above that given in the exam notes.

I seem to remember 5.2 m (5.8 m above roads) for low voltage cables, but I had a supply to a garage which just cleared the caravan, so more down to who is likely to check.