Getting power to a garage

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mikeyhall1, Nov 18, 2018.

1. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 New Member

Hi again, I thought I’d cover this one separately.

Next job I’ve been tasked with is getting power to my garage 10m at the rear of the property.

Now this one I’m a little clueless, but is it possible to spur a cable from the down stairs socket ring, keeping in mind I’m already planning to spur two external sockets already and run a spurred armoured cable to the garage to then attach a double socket?

This will power further Christmas light and the cable will run along a fence and will be protected/sleeved.

After much research I see conflicting views but some suggest it should be worded directly from the consumer unit?

Thanks again

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As it comes under Part P regs, needs to be done by a spark,who can sign it off,would rather use a SWA (steel wire armoured cable) buried in trench (600mm depth) from house to garage,safter, rather than a cable tacked to a fence.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  3. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

If you want to avoid Part P and all you want is some external lighting. Fit an external socket/FCU on an outside wall as a spur from an existing socket (assuming the socket is not already a spur and is on a circuit with RCD protection) and plug in the fairy lights, blow up Santa and whatever else you have planned as your Christmas extravaganza.

As Mr K suggested leave the power to the garage for a sparky.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Power to a garage..:cool:

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Not sure it does these day.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The sockets within a garage are not included, but I thought the supply cable from house to garage was still under Part P, BUT I could be wrong.:eek::oops:

7. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 New Member

So I’ve have 3 available internal sockets to use and I will spur two external sockets off two of them that will sit adjacent on the other side of the wall. The third external socket I want to spur off the third available internal socket but 10m away I can then just run an external 10m armoured cable to the garage? From the spurred internal socket in the house

8. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Asking the question again won't change the answers. Put in a properly designed, installed and certified supply to the garage.

Only new circuits are notifiable under Part P. Your proposed plan is not a new circuit, so not notifiable. However, the work must comply with the building regulations and the wiring regs (BS7671).

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

If your outside sockets are back to back with internal ones then why not run 2 cables to them and put them on the ring so no limitations?

Kind regards

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It surprises me how many people here seem to be confused between part P and notifiable jobs! Part P is applicable to all domestic work. Only c/unit replacements, new circuits and work in "special locations" are "notifiable" these days.

Bazza and Comlec like this.