getting radio 1 via a lightswitch

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by nakedterry, Nov 28, 2005.

1. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Sorry about the subject title but I hope it wont happen!

I am interested in foil insulation.
    Does anyone reckon it is possible to line a very cold wall in my front room with foil (the same stuff they use for space blankets) before putting up wallpaper.

a) Will we slowly bake like a microwave?
    b) Will I receive radio luxembourg through the fillings in my teeth?
    c) Could it actually work, to reflect radiant heat and will the wallpaper stay up???

Sounds daft but if it just might work then its work a shot.

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

hi nakedterry
    try polystyrene roll stick it to wall with pva and paper over,but for good insulation use superqilt you will loose two and a half inches of wall but will give you a U value of 0.2 use inch baton treated fix to wall staple superquilt to it inch baton on top so one inch of air either side 12.5mm plasterboard and skim finish, warm as toast but have noticed since I have done attic with it no mobile phone signal in attic any more

3. jobsagooden

jobsagooden New Member

Don't use polystyrene unless you can guarantee that it will not get the slightest knock, it won't even take a tap from your finger nail.

The foil will help. You can paint with thermilate added http://igoe.ie/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=49 which also will help but I have never tried it. Any one else? Let me know if you do use it.

4. paintycait

paintycait New Member

I have a colleague who uses a ton of thermalite...reckons it's a winner. He started using it after I put him onto other Igoe products. His clients certainly believe in it as he has a lot of repeat and referral business - he keeps it a total secret and I may just have busted that.
    Cait

5. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

JOBSAGOODEN, Cait, I have ordered that Thermalite stuff. Seems like a bargain. The site you gave me had a link to another where you can but it.
    I got a 3 for 2 offer (1.5Kg for £40) and it should be here soon.
    The site also has a useful calculator to see how much the stuff can save you on heating cost. I could save at least £120. It seems a fair swap, £40 for £120.
    It claims to save 25% on heating bills and can raise room temp bt 4 degrees C!!!
    I will let you know how I get on when I paint it next week.