Getting too old for this !

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Shytot, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

I’m 56 and been a chippy on sites since I was 17 . I’m really starting to feel the aches and pains now . Bad back which I have physio on every 5 wks , bad knees but haven’t we all, tennis elbow which comes and goes & my mojo is starting to go . How are other fellow chippys coping after turning 50 ?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Im a tad younger and not a chippy but the same as you. Just keep going but for how long?

3. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

I’m a joiner - 62 and still work 60+ hours a week. I’m at the stage where I can 100% pick and choose what I do, though - so I only take on work where everything is pretty enjoyable - stuff for the National Trust and English Heritage especially. I get what you mean though. There are some days when I feel every day of my age - but most of the time my physical health is spot-on. Just fortunate I guess.

4. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

I was 59 last week, very strong, slim (ish!) and pretty fit, but it's the little things that have become noticeable in the last few years, needing glasses to see to chop hinges and locks in for one, but also things like tennis elbow, painful knees when skirting or flooring etc, finding it less easy to contort the body into odd positions and just generally feeling knackered after a day's graft and taking several days to recover after particularly strenuous jobs like concreting or digging etc. To this end I have more or less packed in building recently and am dabbling in various other means of making money with a view of creating an occupation that I can continue to do as I get older without damaging my body any more.

5. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

keep fit...my favourite subject.
    Stretching every morning. Don't do weights to "help the muscles". Cod liver oil.
    Decent pair of work trousers that have the knee pad pockets.
    Fruit. Lots of veg. No smoking etc . No jogging on concrete or pavement.
    Very little processed food. Cut down on meat. Eat some fish product most days,
    not fish fingers.
    Still ache but I believe it would be worse.
    Just saw Okoak comment, keep eye on weight .

6. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

I’m pretty fit for my age , 11stone or summat like 78 kg . Just under 6ft . Eat ok’ish , microwave meals at work , porridge in the morning. Drink alcohol on a weekend which is around 7 pints & couple of wines ..
    Someone mentioned eyesight , mines great for distance but totally shot fit close up , which is a real pain in our game . Glasses on & off
    Just re-read that . Looks like I’m saying micro meals are good , no they are not . Just handy

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  7. mitefix

mitefix Active Member

I am 52 and reasonable fit, I started joinery at 17 I came away from site work 10yrs ago I did mostly truss/trad roofing/stud work with the odd stair case kitchen thrown in.

I have been on site since to Erect a few large Oak buildings for National Trust.

I don't drink much these days and try to watch what I eat to keep the weight down. I have to worn discs at the bottom of the spine that flur up now and again.

I visit the chiropractor once a month which helps. I cycle a lot to keep fit, I had a bicep tendon snap 2yrs ago due to carrying heavy sheet martials.

Now I pick and choose the work I want to do and find interesting.

hopefully I can keep going for a few yrs yet as I still enjoy it. Until I get a Awkward customer that slips through the net.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Shytot likes this.
  8. Sunrise

Sunrise New Member

53 now and really feeling it ,arthritis in right hand and 2 dodgy knees ,some good days some bad days with the back ,can't really work Saturdays anymore as I need the weekend to recover ,I've always tried to keep fit and eat healthy so I dread to think what state I'd be in if I didn't!!

9. JOMEL

JOMEL Active Member

Well.
    You young guys are full of moan.
    I am 88 next month.
    Must admit I have been retired 27 years.
    I am really please to say I am not doing bad really.
    Yes creaking a bit.
    Just on repainting 40 metres of fencing.
    Up cleaning the house gutters yesterday
    More noise about that from the wife that my from my old joints.
    Dont just sit and watch the TV lol
    10-5 by the way.

Putting tin helmet on now

Take care
    Johnny M

tore81, DIYDave. and Jord86 like this.
  10. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

Johnny that’s brilliant, you sound fit and very healthy. My dad who taught me and was a chippy is 90 in 4 wks . Still gets about in his garden , my brother takes him fishing, and generally apart from his knees his healthy. He’s says the best thing he ever did was buy a bungalow. He won’t go to my brothers house because he hasn’t got a downstairs toilet .
    Ps, my mums 88 ,I hope it’s in the genes

11. JOMEL

JOMEL Active Member

Hi Shytot

Well good on him.
    I have to admit I was a plumber for near 16 years.
    But managed to change my path in life.
    I am always pleased that the building skills I learned save me
    a hell of a lot of cash though.
    I think it has to be difficult as the guys say to stay on the sites
    at older ages. And the OAP further away its hardly fair.
    Well good luck guys.

Johnny M

pppmacca43 likes this.
  12. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Good lad !!!

13. SoManyUserNames

SoManyUserNames Active Member

Guess I am one of the lucky ones!
    Seen a Dr 5 times since leaving school, 3 times for tetanus, twice for impetigo that I cought on holiday.
    Only had 12 days of sick since leaving school.
    I worked on stairs for the last 30 years so run up and down over 100 flights a day.
    Smoke and drink as much as I can before it is all illegal.
    No aches or pains but do need glasses now.
    but I'm only 60.

Shytot likes this.
  14. Adamfya

Adamfya Active Member

How long were you in the RAF for Johnny??

15. JOMEL

JOMEL Active Member

Hi Adamfa.

Well just my 2 years NS
    In fact I dont know why I did not stay in I had a wonderful job there.
    I was a Radio op spent over 10 months of it at Radio College.
    Ended up working for the funny people in the Big house down south
    But it got me into Ham Radio and in time a change of life
    Thank you RAF

Take care lads it still seems a bit dangerous out there,

Johnny M

16. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

As anyone used one of the copper bracelets for joint pain

17. Okoak

Okoak Active Member

Mine came with a free bag of magic beans....they didn't work either.

ginger tuffs likes this.
  18. ginger tuffs

That’s what I was hoping for
    So in your my head then if they work or not

19. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

20. ginger tuffs

Take them and you will fail drug test on site but at least you will be high

chillimonster likes this.