Glasgow costliest

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lokkars Daisy, Jan 10, 2008.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Must adnit Oliver I know zero about Megaflow Systems..think they are unvented or something?.

Amyway good luck M8.

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Glagow has been named as the most expensive place to
    hire an electrician in a survey by Gumtree.com. The
    average cost there is £65.00 an hour compared to just
    £20.00 an hour in Bristol.

I wonder how they arrive at those figures...

3. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

The same way as they work out the average "Houseprices" that they come up with.

and the average "Salary" (not p/h).

They are always way off.

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

£55 + VAT Callout & £25/Hr min here in leafy Cheshire. :)

5. ProDave

ProDave New Member

I am hoping to move soon and the house I am buying
    has an oil fired Combi, there is no gas in that area.
    I am thinking about putting a megaflow in. I just
    know I will run out of oil and want a secondary form
    of hot water which is difficult with a combi.

Someone suggested that I may be able to use the
    existing boiler with a megaflow but will look at that
    further down the line.

A "megaflow" is a bit like a "hoover" and has become the accepted term for an unvented hot water tank. Just like "hoover" there are a lot more makes of unvented hot water tank available than the megaflow, and I would reccomend the Telford Tornado that I fitted in my own house, a fraction of the price of a Megaflow.

Apart from anything else, the Megaflow uses those tiny, non standard immersion heaters with plug on thermostats. I'm not sugesting you will use the immersion heater much, but I have had to service several where the thermostat has failed, and at £32 a go they are not cheap to replace. I prefer my Tornado, with it's standard size immersion heater and standard cheap thermostat, and most importantly it's a whole lot cheaper in the first place.

There's no magic about fitting an unvented cylinder. Just follow the instructions. The over temp / over pressure vent and expansion vessel is factory fitted, so unless you are really dumb and remove it, there's no problem. They also supply in the pack a presure reducing valve for the mains input. Both the vents have to be connected to an outside drain, and the instructions tell you how to calculate the size of pipe required given the distances and number of bends etc. If you really want to make life easier, you can buy a version "pre plumbed" with pump and control valves etc.

You only "need" a conventional boiler to run CH and heat the HW tank, so I guess if you wanted to, you could just cap off and ignore the HW side of a combi, and just use the heating part of it to heat your radiators and HW tank with appropriate control valves, just like you would use on a normal boiler. a little unconventional, but I can see no reason why it won't work. Guaranteed to confuse the next guy that services the boiler (and oil boilers DO need regular servicing, unlike gas) and guaranteed to confuse the next owners.

6. 2 wheeled ant

2 wheeled ant New Member

Been to Glasgow a few times, liked it!
    Posh it is!

Ant

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Then ya got a Glass shuved in ya face! :O

8. Krusty the Clown

Krusty the Clown New Member

Glagow has been named as the most expensive place
    to
    hire an electrician in a survey by Gumtree.com.
    The
    average cost there is £65.00 an hour compared to
    just
    £20.00 an hour in Bristol.

I wonder how they arrive at those figures...

I think gumtree.com are up a gumtree with those prices!...I am about 30 miles South of Glasgow and worked in the City many many times, I can assure you the averge sparky rate round those parts is bout 20 quid P.H.

9. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Thanks for the reply re: Mgaflow Prodave, you're right about people calling them all Megaflows.

The one I was actually looking at was the Tribune becuase it was recommended over on the plumbers forum.

I love the idea that you can site pressurised cylinders on the ground floor. When I but the house in question (and it may be some time) I intend to build a small shed/bolier room at the end of the kitchen. I would use this for the boiler and the cylinder.

Your suggestion re: using the combi makes sense to me and a I cannot see why it wouldn't work, oil fired boilers are expensive so I would definitely like to use the existing one if poss.