Glass Advice Needed Please

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Drewsk, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Drewsk

Drewsk New Member

I want to fit some glass shelves in my kitchen between two small wall cupboards. I have 4 shelves but they are just too long to fit. I am unsure what type of glass they are, they were used as shelves before so should be toughened in some way. Is there a way to discover what type of glass they are and if/how I can shorten them to fit?
    The shelves I have are around 1 metre and the gap is 88cm taking into account the brackets I'm using. The shelves are 6mm thick, clear with green edges.
    Will add pics as soon as I work out how......
    TIA, Drew.

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

take them to a glazing store - they can cut them on site

3. Drewsk

Drewsk New Member

Was my first thought. We had a local place that I've used in the past and were very reasonable on cost but they're gone sadly. It's Ok if it would be cheap but I don't want to spend too much so would prefer to do them myself if possible.

4. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

you can buy a glass cutter for a few quid, however i'm not sure about using it on toughened glass for shelves. It may well work, but obviously you don't want to screw it up, so if you've got some extra it's well worth practicing on there first.

Drewsk likes this.
  5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Did not think you can cut toughened glass? Normally made up. Edging ground then toughened. Not my area but what I thought.

Drewsk and just pumps like this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If it is indeed toughened / tempered glass, this can't be cut, really don't think you've got any further options at this stage

If its laminated glass, yes, can be cut

Get a price on new glass shelves cut to size, which are then heat treated to toughen/temper them

Drewsk likes this.
  7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Yes, you're right. Just about impossible to do. I do a bit of picture framing, including cutting the glazing to size. Used a pane of unknown origin once; it was only once! It will not snap along a scored line.

Drewsk and Wayners like this.
  8. GS63

GS63 Member

You won't be able to cut toughened glass.

Find a glass stockist / processor & tell them your requirements. Maybe ask them if 4mm toughened will meet safety regs. That would be cheaper than 6mm.

If your existing shelves are of no other value to you, you could get a cheap glass cutter & try cutting one ( just in case they're not toughened ).

Cheap glass cutter:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/glass-cu...SYSDqlO4reWg06uMXeRoC05YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This one's probably a bit better ( tungsten wheel )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline...88&hvtargid=pla-421740004309&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Use a bit of oil when cutting - 3 in 1 will do.

Drewsk likes this.
  9. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

If glass is toughen it will explode into a million pieces. Sometimes if you tap with a coin toughened gives a dull sound so problem cheaper to replace

10. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Close to a metre is a pretty wide span for a piece of glass. 6mm tempered/toughened as the absolute minimum. You'll also need the edges polished to take off the razor-sharp edges. Don't cheap out, don't muck about, Google 'glass merchants' and get it done properly.

11. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

100% correct Wayners. Toughened/tempered glass is made by firstly cutting the piece to size, chamfering/grinding/polishing the edges and drilling any holes etc. The glass is then placed in a furnace which heats it to a few degrees below melting point. It's then blast-cooled with cold air which rapidly shrinks the outer skin, placing the inner 'core' under massive compression. When it's cut or broken, the inner core literally explodes through the outer skin, resulting in hundreds of tiny cubes instead of great jagged shards.

WillyEckerslike and Wayners like this.
  12. If its toughend glass, you're screwed. If it's 6mm plate glass, with polished edges, your local glazier can trim what you want, off the length, then re polish the cut end. Make sure to use the right shelf studs (for glass), as metal rubbing on glass will only last so long, before it 'shells', then cracks.

13. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

I once many moons ago tried to cut a largish sheet of toughened glass on a lawn- result- thousands of tiny glass fragments in amongst the grass..:(

14. Tantalus

Tantalus New Member

Hello, my family business is in double glazed unit manufacturing.

As people have said above, if it's toughened then it is impossible to cut. There should be a stamp on the glass if it is indeed toughened but often this is (illegally) omitted if they are foreign imports.

Also, if the edge you need to cut off it polished (rounded) then you would probably need to have that re-done if it was able to be cut.

Should you need new shelves from anywhere, I would recommend 6mm Clear (Toughened if you want the additional safety), Polished Edges.

If you would like any more advice, please don't hesitate to drop me a message :)