Glass cutter?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by teabreak, Jun 25, 2019.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I have been building a new green house which has involved quite a few glass cuts. I have been using Virex 6 wheel one but it seems to stop cutting after 3 or 4 cuts (got a lot of broken glass now!) Changing the wheel solves it till that wheel gives up and so on. On wheel 5 now! I have almost finished now, but would like some suggestions for a decent one to replace it please.
    Using oil on the wheel by the way.

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

metholated spirit

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I will try it on the wheel (used it to clean the glass) or are you suggesting I drink it to drown my sorrows! ;)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old chap, a brilliant joiner, I worked with use to have a baccy tin with a bit of sponge soak in 3 in 1 oil to lubricate his glass cutter.:)

5. An Idle Man

An Idle Man New Member

I've come to this a bit late, but I'm a picture framer so I cut glass day in day out. Meths, WD40, any light oil will help but those 6 wheel cutters dont last. Look for a TOYO oil filled cutter ( Google it they cost around £25 ) mine has lasted well over 5 years with constant use. Great investment.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks for the posting very reassuring that's what I bought in the end!
    I also bought some cutting fluid but from the warnings on the bottle it looks a pain to use!
    About time warning labels were graded to reflect the true hazard they present lets face it if you read the label on meths they make it sound like plutonium! Considering we used to sterilise mouth blowlamp tubes in it and then just shake off before putting it in our mouth I should have been dead years ago! :eek::eek: Glass cutter.jpg

An Idle Man likes this.