Glass Tiles which adhesive???

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by DIYNewbie, May 29, 2005.

1. DIYNewbie

DIYNewbie Guest

Hi,
    I have glass tiles from Fired Earth. Doesnt matter which colour of adhesive as they are black at the back so adhesiv does not show through.

I bought wall tile adhesive from Fired Earth as I thought this would be best way to go, but the tiles just slip slop around the wall making it impossible to line up!

THe tiles are flat on the back, and I can't help wonder if the adhesive I have is not suitable. As its sunday I can't phone to check!

If you were to be tiling this kind of tile what kind of adhesive would you use?

Cheers

2. You need BAL Mosaic-Fix Tile adhesive, it's is specially designed for fitting smaller tiles and also Tessreae, (Basically tiles of glass construction).

It's a powder based adhesive and can be bought from good tile shops or tile distributors.

The problem with Fired Earth is they sell the fancy products, but in most cases don't have the real technical knowledge to back up their products.

Oh and a large proportion of the fancy tiles they sell are available elsewhere for substantially less money, you basically pay an extra 100% to buy the same product from a Fired Earth shop so you can the Joneses next door that's where you tiles came from....very good marketing, but ripping off the customer.

3. handyman.

handyman. New Member

diynewbie, you can get Bal adhesives from topp tiles

4. DIYNewbie

DIYNewbie Guest

Cheers Mudster,

I know what you are saying about fired earth, but tried looking else where for the same tiles but nothing came close! There probably is somewhere else I could get the cheaper but I didn't find them :( They are a red glass tile, seen any distributors on your travels?

They are 11cm * 11cm so is mosiac fix still ok?

Also due to the nice curvy nature at the edge of the tiles I notice they are not perfectly square, so getting spacing right with spacers may not be as easy as when I did the floor!

Ahhh afer this I will know that certain "nice" tiles are a pain in the **** to install! Easy of installation v "niceness" from now on, trouble is first time round you don't pick up on these things!

I think too much adhesive may also have played a part in the slipping of the tiles.

Used Bal on the floor after reading all the tipps on here, and it came up trumps, cheers guys :)

5. It will be fine, the size of the tile is less important than what it's made of and what it's being stuck to.

Don't use spacers, tile a row at a time horizontally, and stand back and check each row as you go.

With tiles fo this nature, looking right is more important than being technically accurate.

Also if there are iregular edges you'll need a wider wall grout than the regular BAL wall. So go with a wide joint if you think you nedd (i.e. more than a 3mm joint). It does makes a real different

6. forgot to add...use spacers as pegs to guide you, if you're not used to fixing by eye joint, remove the peg & adjust accordingly