Gliddens White Gloss

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by decortyke, May 22, 2010.

1. decortyke

decortyke New Member

Now im usually a Dulux user or if the price is tight I use Johnstones as its a few quid cheaper.

This week we were doing a job with absolutely no money in it so I reluctantly opted to try the gliddens gloss.

I have to say it was superb! Easy to apply with no thinning. Excellent opacity due to its slight greyness and a very high shine when dry.

Well worth a try guys.

2. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Gliddens comes from the same stable as Dulux much the same as Johnstones/Leyland all of which in my opinion are top quality coatings.

Sadly though they are often overlooked because people are often guided by the name and price of a product.

Potty.

3. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Do yourself a favour decor:

Get yourself some Crown Solo self undercoating gloss.

4. potty painter

potty painter New Member

CROWN SOLO. Liquid gold!!

5. decortyke

decortyke New Member

No thanks.

6. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

No thanks.

Ever tried it, on any of these jobs you do with no money in them?

7. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Liquid Gold.

Potty.

8. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Liquid Gold indeed ;)

Here's what decor says about Gliddens liquid gloss, you know the stuff..the liquid gloss that you can't gloss on gloss with...

Easy to apply with no thinning. Excellent opacity due to its slight greyness and a very high shine when dry.

Here's Solo:

Superb covering, superb opacity with a slight blue/grey look, superb shine and -

It's self undercoating Yes... you can use it on gloss and it wont shell off.

Finest paint ever made.

9. decortyke

decortyke New Member

Oh yes Ive tried it. Consistency of undercoat and not as shiny as liquid gloss.

I hear what youre saying and it would have been an option on that particular job.

Everyone to their own I suppose but I dont rate it at all. Its a bit DIY for my liking.

10. decortyke

decortyke New Member

I just prefer to undercoat and gloss. Maybe im a bit old fashioned like that.

"bumping" isnt my thing.

11. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

So, it's a preference thing and you're old fashioned and bumping isn't you're thing.

I never stop learning, it looks like a long time ago, you have.

Learn to use it and you'll wonder how you ever managed without it.

Just done a job for someone that's sold his house and five years ago I did the lot in Solo. He said that the folk that bought it, thought it was the best glosswork they'd ever seen and thought it'd just been done!

12. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Yes and will remain as such for another 5 to I don't doubt. Solo does stand alone, so easy to apply and a finish like glass.

CROWN SOLO LIQUID GOLD!!!!!!

Potty.

13. decortyke

decortyke New Member

Sorry guys, double up on me as much as you like. Im not budging.

Im not frightened to try new products but Crown solo isnt a new product. Its 20 years old now.

If its the best gloss available why are the trade centres still selling conventional undercoat and gloss?

Why arent contractors buying it by the case? In fact how come architects arent specifying it?

14. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

You've really answered part of your own question with this statement Im not budging.

You're right about the time as it was about 20 years ago when I first used it as I'd complained to Crown about something and they sent a rep with Solo. He urged me to try it but not to use it like liquid gloss. Put more on, forget your normal glossing brushes etc.

As for Trade centres, the one near me sells more of it now than ever before but they still get the odd painter that sneers at it and likes to think that because they use undercoat on everything, then they're better than the others.
    I've put more Solo on than anybody over existing decent glosswork and never ever had any probs. In fact we've a reputation for beautiful work. It's not meant for new work.

Wonderful paint for the thinking Painter and decorator that knows when and when not to use it.

You'd have to be barkin' mad :O these days to undercoat everything unnecessarily.

Sorry decor but stating Im not budging.
    says a lot about you.

15. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Gutercat.

It is becoming a pleasure to know you, that was a remarkable post, off the cuff, direct, and overflowing with honesty.

Decortyke.

I was another misguided soul who challenged paints such as Solo, and I really should have known better. Solo will change the way you do things and and open up another avenue within this wonderous trade of ours.

Don't dismiss Solo as a one coat wonder but use it as the superb product of which it is.

You will never regret it.

Potty.

16. decortyke

decortyke New Member

We will have to agree to disagree folks.

Gutter,

Have a look at the PDA awards luncheon winners list for 2009. Held at Mansion House in London. My names on that list.

My small firm works to a high standard, and on that day received recognition. Do you honestly think were afraid to try different products? especially bearing in mind the changes the 2010 stuff has brought about?

We DO NOT gloss on gloss. Simple as.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

We DO NOT gloss on gloss. Simple as.

I do..............with SOLO, try it sometime!!!

Do you honestly think were afraid to try different products?

Sounds like it!!!

18. mardyoldgit

mardyoldgit New Member

Been on a job today, woodwork been painted really bad in the past looked liked it had been bumped, gloss on gloss. Sanded it down and surface started to peel off. Coat of undercoat tied it all back. sanded down when dry, maybe another undercoat and then back to a sound surface for the final coat of gloss. What would it have looked like with just a coat of solo I wonder?
    Not very good I'd bet.

I'm up for trying any product to make the job easier and get a better finish but draw the line at a self-undercoating gloss whats meant to go in one coat. Just not right.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What would it have looked like with just a coat of solo I wonder?

Sounds like you'll never know!

20. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

decor We DO NOT gloss on gloss. Simple as.

I do ;) It's foolish using undercoat when theres a brill product that you can use on gloss in good condition.
    I've glossed on gloss, thousands of times with Solo and over my previous work and so has matey.

I get my awards from my customers ;) Simplez