Gliddens White Gloss

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by decortyke, May 22, 2010.

1. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Well I did'nt read it myself, but I do agree. Funny enough I used Solo today, 5 windows and 7 door caseings, customer was over the moon an was on the phone recomending it before I had left.

He could'nt believe the finish and the shine from this brilliant product. My last words to him were "you'll Never Guess".

Crown Solo Liquid Gold.

Potty.

2. polly222

polly222 Member

Guttercat
    Last word.
    If you tender for work from councils construction companys etc you have to do whats on the spec its not just doing what the council says on everything its what professional companys like us do.
    If we didnt we would just get a bad name and not get any work.
    Now can we leave this please. Cheers polly

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is working for the council really quality work? I don't think so.

4. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Well I did'nt read it myself, but I do agree. Funny enough I used Solo today, 5 windows and 7 door caseings, customer was over the moon an was on the phone recomending it before I had left.

He could'nt believe the finish and the shine from this brilliant product. My last words to him were "you'll Never Guess".

Crown Solo Liquid Gold.

Potty.

What :O

Now listen here Potty.

You're not going to get any council work doing a good job like that.

Top man . ;)

5. polly222

polly222 Member

Chippie
    When you get work direct from the council and get subbies to do the work for you it keeps them in work and we make a nice profit.
    And the standard has to be a lot better then it use to be so every ones happy.
    Yes it is quality work and if you new anything about it you would know its not just house bashing on council estates which we dont do its hospitals schools etc mostly new work.
    Cheers Polly

6. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Polly- Now can we leave this please. Cheers polly

Well you can't :^O

7. polly222

polly222 Member

Guttercat
    At least have the manners to get my name right.
    I have a very high regard for potty hes one of the few on here who knows whats what but hes not me.
    Cheers POLLY (my name)

8. polly222

polly222 Member

Guttercat
    Do you think this post is a bit like solo you got to keep going back to it and hoping it looks ok.
    Cheers Polly

9. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Polly.

In a way you are correct in what you say, yes after useing Solo you are often called back.

By the original client, members of their family, and people of which live in the vicinity of the first application.

And they always ask the same question, can you do that for me. Not always perhaps, there is a right and wrong way to use Solo.

Crown Solo!!

LIQUID GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Potty.

10. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Good morning my little undercoaters. :)

Just off to finish this through lounge and kitchen with the old liquid Gold .

Back for Loose women. ;)

11. polly222

polly222 Member

Potty.
    I will take your word for it.

Have a good weekend.
    Cheers mate Polly

12. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

On a slight tangent........

Would Crown Solo be the way to go for new build project with MDF Skirts & Arcs which come pre-primed in a whitish finnish or not?

13. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Sine.

I can see no reason why you should'nt use Solo on such an application.

Lightly abrade the surface without breaking through the primer, then on with the liquid gold.

Potty.

14. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Forgot to mention, you will need to fill over fixings and again lightly abrade and spot prime.

Potty.

15. jcts

jcts Active Member

sinewave

In theory, this should be the ideal product to use. However I do not believe it would have sufficient opacity to cover a surface with just primer on. Satin would take 2 maybe 3 coats to bring up to a finish so i'm sure solo would be the same, therefore taking longer than undercoating and glossing

16. potty painter

potty painter New Member

jcts.

Firstly I dont disagree with what you have said, and it is no secret within the trade that Solo is not really designed for new builds.

However the tremendous opacity and covering power of this unique paint is well able to cope with a situation such as Sinewave as descibed.

I doubt very much if we will ever see eye to eye with regard to Solo, but it truly is liquid gold.

Regards

Potty.

17. jcts

jcts Active Member

I doubt very much if we will ever see eye to eye with regard to Solo

I've not bad mouthed the product. I'm not a fan of this product or crown in general, however when I have used it, it's been ok. Wouldn't rave about it the way you have but it's been alright. When the situation calls for using something that will get the job done quicker than the traditional way then sure. Even though I don't like something I still keep an open mind and take things on board. That's what I meant about being the ultimate professional

18. jcts

jcts Active Member

The thing I was getting a tad annoyed at is the way it's been hailed as liquid gold!?!?!? It's paint!

19. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

So.. I work for this single lady and her friends/ family etc. Do her house regularly and always use "Solo" on wood/rads. I glossed the doors, the moulded panelled things that have the grain look.

Anyway, she picks up with this bloke and he wants to know how I get a superb gloss finish, and gets her to ask me what paint I use. She tells him "Solo" and the guy's only a Painter and decorator. :O
    Then he starts with the ooooooooohhhh it's all gonna drop off, I never gloss on gloss, I always use "Trade" business. Right berk he is,never even used it, couldn't discuss it properly,turns out to be a smart alec so she fires him off eventually.
    I'm still there, 6 years on with no probs. There are wine snobs, food snobs, holiday destination snobs, supermarket snobs and now we even have paint snobs. :^O

Appropriate coloured tin. ;)
    [​IMG]

20. jcts

jcts Active Member

What the point of that story? Did it make your ******** grow bigger or something?