Gloss problem

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Trfc, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Trfc

Trfc New Member

Hello, could someone advise me what to do. I undercoated my staircase spindles with an oil based paint. Then I used a quick drying water based gloss. Very disappointed in the water based gloss finish. A few days later I second coated with an oil based gloss. 24 hours later the paint is horrendously tacky, infact still wet.
    Will this paint ever dry ? Or could someone offer me some advice please to correct this.
    Thank you

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Probably not for a long while , never apply waterbase over oil although you can apply an oil base over water base. Wipe the oil gloss off with a rag soaked in white spirit then sand it back and use Crown Fast Flow undercoat and gloss, important .......read the instructions as with any product! ;)

What brand was the gloss you used?

3. Trfc

Trfc New Member

Used crown paints. Thanks for your kind reply. Just a quick one is their any chance this top coat will dry in time?

4. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

it will dry out but... won't be resist to scratches, strip it down and re-paint, of you will decide to go for oil undercoat + oil gloss you might add bit of rustins paint drier to shorten drying time

5. Trfc

Trfc New Member

Thank you so much for your kind reply.
    Much appreciated.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Eventually, could be 3 weeks if you are lucky, modern paints rely on air flow to dry rather than evaporation.

7. Trfc

Trfc New Member

Many thanks for your kind reply

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Should of stuck to a good waterbased gloss. Solvent gloss yellows rapidly and stinks plus take days to dry ever since the 2010 voc compliance

Astramax likes this.
  9. Trfc

Trfc New Member

Thanks very much for your kind reply. Don't you find with water based gloss ever brush stroke is apparent when dry?

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'm not a fan of some of the gloss that's mentioned here. There are some good ones on the market although not tried the fast flow myself. Think gloss paints is a problem for the diy person. It's not a case of buying any old undercoat and gloss like it used to be.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You are more than likely not using the correct brushes for water base paints, they are synthetic which have a very fine filament. Google Purdy Monarch paintbrushes.

12. Trfc

Trfc New Member

Thanks a million, never knew about these brushes. Will get some tomorrow. Thanks for your reply.

Astramax likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Screwfix sell synthetic brushes that are a more economical price, look in the decorating section at Wooster Silver Tip 3 piece set @£14.99 Cat number 2915G.

Trfc likes this.
  14. Trfc

Trfc New Member

Thank you so much for the info. Will be heading down there tomorrow.