Glow-worm hideaway boiler 70b/80b

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sheeny, Oct 16, 2010.

1. sheeny

sheeny New Member

I've got this boiler, it's got to be around 20 years old now, it's still going strong, it's a boiler that runs about 22 rads in five seperate flats.
    The only problem is the temperature is hard to accurately control, the only thermostat is the one on the boiler itself,( the white round dial next to the spark button),turning the thermo dial a fraction of a millimetre down and the rads are to cold, and turning it up by the same fraction, gets the rads nice and hot but can double the gas consumption,there doesn't seem to be ahappy medium.
    I was wondering if fittng a thermostat to the hot water cylinder, and linking it back to the boiler,would make much difference?
    It's a pressurised system with an expansion vessel.
    cheers.

2. chris roast

chris roast Member

i would say the thermostat is shot, what about retrofitting new modern stat on boiler?

3. sheeny

sheeny New Member

Cheers chris, the thermostat was replaced a couple of years ago, but the new one seemed to operate identical to the old one, maybe just a bad design.
    when you say retrofit a modern one, Do you mean a wall mounted room stat? and would that require removing the current thermostat.

4. chris roast

chris roast Member

probably try a pipe stat?, you say 22 rads run 5 flats, is there rad thermostats on each rad to control it, you could fit motorised valves in each flat and room stats in each one, lot of work thou