glue for wet wood

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by woods100, Nov 14, 2003.

1. woods100

woods100 Member

I need to form a radius around the corner of a worktop (86mm) and would like to build it from wood. Maybe 3mm strips soaked in water to make the pliable and then clamped around a form . . I guess ordinary PVA glue is out of the question for wet wood . . what can I use . . and preferably something that does not cause staining or is too dark when cured ?

2. kesh

kesh New Member

What you need to do, is bend the strips (while wet, soak overnight) over a hot pipe (try a large size tin can heated by a blowtorch), & then place them in the former overnight. This way they will remain curved when dry & you can glue them normally. This is a technique used by luthiers (stringed instrument makers) to form the sides of guitars etc. You may find more detailed information by searching for instrument making on the web.

3. chippy

chippy New Member

Polyurethane glue requires moisture to cure and I have found that it works well for wet surfaces and it's quick setting, non staining

4. number 4

number 4 New Member

i agree with kesh about leaving wood to dry here is my solution when i made a curved bookcase for a windmill;
    3mm strips may be ok i would try scraps first as your curve seems quite tight. if this does not work then try 2mm industrial veneers (this is what we know them as but just ask for 2mm veneer) or make your own as for 3mm. make the veneer as accurate as possible by thicknessing wide board to about 44mm (for 40mm finish) this allows for slippage in the laminations- then overhand edge- rip -overhand- and so on until you have all your strips. soak in boiling hot water overnight, pour boiling hot water on again then using gloves put in former leave overnight again or until dry take apart glue up with cascamite. i would use beech or ash as this bends well.ps make your formers accurate and very strong,if you need any more specific help then please ask.hope it helps