Going backwards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by sospan, Nov 27, 2018.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of those nightmare jobs with a difficult customer - my daughters kitchen which needs to be done for Christmas. So she got her boyfriend and his mate to do some of the jobs. Her boyfriends mate is supposedly a qualified plumber and gas fitter. So the plan was to move a radiator from under the sink, present the hot and cold pipes so that when I fit the kitchen it is a neat and simple job to connect the taps and waste.

It was all drawn up and even mocked up a cabinet for them to make sure the pipes were in the right place . Did it help ...... not a chance this is what I saw today

upload_2018-11-27_18-43-19.png

upload_2018-11-27_18-44-4.png

Ignoring the waste pipe which is just temporary so daughter can use the washing machine. The horizontal stops are would be under the unit, the cold stop would be behind the sink bowl - the bizarre pipe coming out of the cold - no idea, the hot doesn't have a stop on it. And yes that is a leak coming from one of the horizontal stops. And the pipes are 120 mm off the wall

To add to the what were you thinking

To make sure there were no "c@ck ups" (so I thought) I would knock the hole through for the cooker extractor before the pipes were moved ..... It isn't difficult is it ?

upload_2018-11-27_18-51-25.png

And to cap it all they thought they would have a go at fitting a stud wall and running first fix cables

upload_2018-11-27_18-53-46.png

:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jord86, KIAB and chippie244 like this.
  2. It would be a far better job having it plastered before any of the pipes are run.
    Right bodge if fitting the units and not plastered behind them.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is her boyfriend's mate Daniel Newell by any chance. :p:p

Jord86, Dam0n and WillyEckerslike like this.
  4. Lordy! Good luck Sospan,

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why plaster behind a kitchen sink, in a stone cottage ?

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think the bizarre pipe is a temporary tap for multiple cups of tea so perhaps he really is a plumber :p:p

barbaricduck and Allsorts like this.
  7. Because it it is a lash up if you don't,why leave that out when doing the rest of the wall.

When doing a job do it properly,if I had to come across a job where they could not be bothered to plaster behind the units, I would be wondering what other bodges and cut corners there were.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Who say's he's plastering the rest of the wall :eek::eek:

9. Looking at it you have a bit of everything,stone,blocks and bricks so you would assume it would be plastered.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Then it would have been plastered before fitting the pipes .....

11. Whoever is running the job obviously does not know how to run it properly and the sequence in which the different trades are called in.

Astramax likes this.
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's Sospan's job at his daughters.

Jord86 likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What ? different trades - have you actually read the first post ?

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'll get my coat!:D:D:D;)

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Oh good, are you coming to help .... ?? got stacks and stacks of painting to do and could do with the help

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Had we been nearer in location I probably would have helped you. :)

17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Ignoring the plumbing and first fix electrics Sospan, the most worrying, dangerous and illegal thing i see in your pics is the extractor outlet in relation to the boiler flue outlet. Gas regs state a minimum distance between the 2 of 300mm when at the same height. Your extractor outlet is nowhere near 300mm from the boiler flue outlet and even worse, it's above the boiler flue outlet :eek:

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yes all the plumbing and wiring will be redone.

Where the gas pipe vents to the outside, it is in a back yard which is 4m lower than the garden, so before the new boiler was fitted the gas exhaust was pluming into the yard and coming back into the kitchen window if it was open. With the new boiler, the exhaust runs up the outside of the house and vents way above the extractor outlet

kitfit1 likes this.
  19. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

:) That's good to hear, the consequences other wise don't bear thinking about.

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Could do with the help so much to paint windows, drive way gates, workshop doors, kitchen cabinets with their face frames and doors. It isn't just the time, with this damp cold weather, glue and paint is taking ages to harden. I glossed some doors in my workshop last Tuesday and the paint was still soft on Saturday. The problem then is you can't do much in the workshop because you don't want airborne particles in the paint, so have to work else where