goldenboy £60 to fit an internal

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by starlight tiles, Feb 3, 2007.

1. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

what you reckon lads.is he avvin a tin bath again.

2. Guest

Naw Naw MAZBALL £60 a pair you fibber

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

you stick to charging whatever you want in your little fantasy world. I will stick to charging £60 an internal labour only. I have nearly 50 doors booked in ( most off customers I have done work for before and all of whom have received a full written quote) so I must be doing something right. Oh and I put a 15% markup on doors, 25% on ironmongery and I charge £5 a door to dispose of them aswell. Oh and I dont advertise aswell apart from a tiny ad in a parish magazine. Oh and my van aint written so i guess nearly all my work comes from word of mouth. So as I say Mazball feel free to charge whatever pittance you want to attempt to hang doors.

4. starlight tiles

do you wear a balaclava golden on jobs you do.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Why would i wear a balaclava. How can i be ripping people off if i give them a full written quote in advance if they dont want the doors done at £60 they dont have to ring me back to confirm. however nearly all do.

6. starlight tiles

where about you based golden.no one in north west gettin 60 an internal

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

how do you know that? Maybe its just you who cant get £60. maybe however hard you try to hang a door and make it £60 worth you cant.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I get £60 a door week in week out and I dont offer discounts at all. Why should I? As i say you get what you are given for hanging doors or you go hungry. I get what I want for doors or the customer doesnt get them done by me. Opposite ends of the spectrum you see. You get dictated to wheras I dictate to customers. thats the difference

9. starlight tiles

how do you justify 20mins work or an hour at the most for £60.10 doors/1 house £600 bollacks.

10. starlight tiles

you certainly talk the talk son.

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

because sometimes you mug it takes a couple of hours to get a door perfect. But i guess you wouldnt know about getting a door perfect would you. Old cottages, odd size frames, adapting doors to suit ceilings etc. But i guess that just aint your line of work eh? too challenging

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

With markup and disposal I would be looking at more like £700 actually mazball. And thats just for hollow doors and budget handles.

13. starlight tiles

adapting doors to suit ceilings.dunno never fitted a door to a ceiling you mug.what doors do you fit.couple of hours to fit 1 door/are you 1st year apprentice.never had a door yet that's took over 20 mins to plane/cut in.maybe you should put some petrol in that festool gear chump.

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

That says more about you than it does about me. You keep crashing doors in with a 10mm margin etc in 20mins and I'll keep hanging doors with 2mm all round and 6mm for the carpet. Not only is your workmanship and pricing bad it aint half as bad as your jokemanship

15. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

council houses (especially between 1940-1970)are a good place to spot doors hung in 20 minutes. the quality of work you get in 20 minutes is as follows

no attempt at shooting in

door hung 10-15 mm lower than the head to ensure the unlevel door lining head doesnt impeed the door

6 to 10mm gaps on he lock side of the door so it doesnt have to be shot in

gapped on the hinge side as badly as the hinge pockets were cut in (or just no hinge pockets at all)

strike plate / keeps screwed to the door lining because the door gap is too big

inch gap at the bottom of the door so it doesnt interfere with any flooring

badly set, cheapest possible furniture

door stops fitted where they were thrown

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Exactly my point dirtydeeds. whats your ballpark for doors at the moment

17. makita49

makita49 New Member

Im glad you said it first deeds im sorry but nobody could hang a door well in 20 mins thats just b****t.

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Whats wrong with that list dirtydeeds thats my checklist after every job. I usually like to make it a two inch gap at the bottom though

19. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

a neighbour of mine had a carpenter in to replace 8 doors, he did it in one day with a bit of time to spare

i got called round because the neighbour wasnt sure about the quality. i was told he got the carpenter (semi retired) from the small ads, £16 per door, 40 years experience

the job was he was a the quality of the work was the same as the many council houses ive seen.

i wouldnt let the guy put his tools on my front door mat

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Even in new build with spot on linings etc I think you would be looking at about 45mins.