Good deal ???

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by coggy, Jan 23, 2004.

1. coggy

coggy New Member

I can,t get in on the link Wolf gave or the one you posted Woodsmith.

Any other suggestions??

2. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

I was wondering what you intend to do with the guide bushes you want to get?

As for the hyperlink, must be something your end.

3. coggy

coggy New Member

I can get in all the other countries apart from the UK site ????

This does not make sense. Can any one else use the links by Wolf and Woodsmith or is it just me ???

This is doin my head in

Coggy

4. coggy

coggy New Member

Right i still definately cant get in. Can woodsmith, Wolf or anyone else please go in for me and put my post code in which is:
    S6 3DR

And post the links to the sites it pulls up.

Thanks guys

5. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Coggy, does this help?

Where to buy

Name Address
    Alltools Limited 119-139 Staniforth Road
    S9 3HD
    Phone Number: 0114 224 3443 / : 0114 224 3444

arco melrite po box 733
    parkway ave
    S9 4YX
    Phone Number: 0114 253 6367

Firth Powerfix Limited Unit 1 Carlisle Court
    S4 8DT
    Phone Number: 0114 261 8833 / : 0114 242 1128

Northern Power Tools 1 Stevenson Road
    S9 3XG
    Phone Number: 0114 244 1064 / : 0114 243 8416

PowerTech Industrial Limited 21 Rotherham Close
    Norwood Industrial Estate
    Killamarsh
    S21 2JU
    Phone Number: 0114 247 4080 / : 0114 247 4860

All products are subject to availability at our retail partners. To simplify your search and avoid disappointment why not call the retailer of your choice to confirm availability.

6. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Coggy, on the subject of my age, Wolf and I have more in common than our mutual love of VARNISH

But just to throw a spanner in the works of your tool list, did you see how many routers Wolf owns? and I've got 4 and I work on my own. I am not sure that one half inch router will be enough. If you can only afford one the 625 is the one to go for but I think that you will need something smaller as well.

Keith

7. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

woodsmith, wolf has only got 2 small ones o:k ;)

but mrs wolf (burley shirley) shes got 2 biggens :)

8. coggy

coggy New Member

Thanks for the address's woodsmith.

Ive thought about a smaller router, what do you recommend ???

Thanks again

Coggy

9. WOLF

WOLF New Member

you been looking at my missus again B&S!!!!!!!!!!

10. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Coggy,I've got the DW621K which is a 1/4 inch router with "smoke stack" dust extraction and a DW631 laminate trimmer, both very nice machines.

11. coggy

coggy New Member

12. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

This is a good machine for laminate trimming or rounding over as it has a large base for the size of machine which makes it easy to keep it flat to the workpiece. Its disadvantages as a second router is that it gives a very restricted view of the cutter in action and is only 600W and therefore limited in cutter size. It is designed as a trimmer and it does that very well, but it is not really a true router.

That is why I have a DW621 which is reasonably light weight, gives a good view of the cutter, excellent dust extraction through the "smoke stack" and is ideal for all the smaller jobs including use with a dovetail jig.

I have been wondering about your current list of tools you propose to buy? If you have the time I would be interested if you could post the full list with prices.

Keith

13. coggy

coggy New Member

Thanks Woodsmith
    Im interested in a trimmer because i used to use one a lot in the shop, for doing hinges etc freehand. I found it easy to handle and was a real jem for quick jobs.

Having a second http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/newsearch.php3?sn=DEW670&from=search&start=0&max=25&search=dew%20670&level=2&page=&issue=look, i think this one might be better:
    And a bit cheaper, dont need all the accessories that the previous link provided.

Woodsmith if you want to look at my full list so far, it would be easier to e-mail it to you because it's on a spreadsheet.

What do you think of the above trimmer?
    Im thinking of having the DW 625EK as my main router, and then the trimmer as a bak up for smaller jobs as explained. I will have to wait to get a 1/4 Router, until a later date.

Thanks Coggy

14. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

No dust extraction can be a problem, no spindle lock can be a pain and only £10 difference. It is smaller so handier but the small base means more chance of damaging the work.

The choice is yours.

Like I've said before it is worth going to look at all these tools and handle them, what suits one will not necessarily suit another. I went for a second router before I bought a trimmer. What normally happens with me is that I have a particular job and if I think a new tool will save me a lot of time and be cost effective in the future I go for it (if I can afford it).

One problem of buying a lot of tools at once is that you won't get chance to really get used to them before you have to use them in anger.

One of the most usefull and time saving tools I have is a nail gun but that would really blow your budget. I don't know if you can keep some of your grant to one side for a while so that you have a little left if you find you need something you had not considered.

If you think it would help I could give you a list of the tools I own.

Anyway my address is

Woodsmith@tesco.net

Keith

15. coggy

coggy New Member

Thanks Woodsmith

Ive just e-mailed you my lists so far. On the spreadsheets the first one is for the tools and when you click on sheet 2 at the bottom you will find the fixings list.

I still have all my hand tools so thats why there is not many on the list, just things i need to get to stock up on my hand tools.

Can you send me your list please?

Thanks again Woodsmith

Coggy

16. coggy

coggy New Member

Do you think Woodsmith that you can remove the base on that one(631k) and use it free hand? aswell

If you could i would get the best of both with the first one ( 631k), dust extraction, spindle lock etc

Thanks Coggy

17. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Thats one hell of a list Coggy, I can see why you didn't want to type all that in here.

A couple of first impressions;

You have included a Tormek, this will need a firm support to use it (like a good workbench). I have one, but I bought it to save me the cost and hassle of having planer blades sharpened, I had an oil stone for years before that, it costs little and can be used anywhere.

If you intend to use the 24 piece router set with the trimmer I would have thought you would be better off getting a few quality bits as I would imagine a lot of the bits in the set won't suit the trimmer.

The angled screwdriver is not up to much, it has still too long a reach. The only ones to go for are the angled drill/drivers but they seem to all start at £170 which I think is expensive.

As for the 731 it does come appart but it would be a handful to use it without the stand.

Keith

18. coggy

coggy New Member

Hi Woodsmith

Yes the tormek will be used for grinding all my tools and will be left at home. I will take my oil stone with me for touching up out on site and then grind them at home.

The angled screwdriver is needed because the other side of my business is assembling flat pack furniture. Im not dead set on the one on the list so any other suggestions that will fill this cause would be appreciated.

I thought about the 1/4 router set and yes you have a good point. I only really need a couple of straight cutters and one for rounding. What do you suggest?

Thanks Coggy

19. coggy

coggy New Member

Hi all

Ive started a new thread for this discussion, its getting a bit long and a pain to reply

Thanks everyone
    Coggy