good first router?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Chocdrop4767, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Chocdrop4767

Chocdrop4767 New Member

guys

Any recommendations for a router? probably won't be using it for kitchen worktops (so not sure I need a 1/2 inch) but will need it to eventually do things like raised panel doors, door locks, beading etc on a weekly basis. Looking to spend about £100-120 (or is that not realistic for what I want?).Needs to have at least soft start, variable speed and micro depth adjustment.

Advice appreciated

Thanks

2. Jonny Round Boy

Jonny Round Boy New Member

Recently I got the 1/2" Erbauer router from Screwfix. It's got everything you've listed & more, and it's very well made & works a treat.

You say you don't need 1/2", but you will for doing most raised & fielded panels, as the bits are far too large to be safe in a 1/4" router. I've used it on a couple of worktops & is more than adequate. Only downside is it's a bit big for doing some of the smaller jobs (but I have a crappy old B&Q 1/4" for those).

3. Jonny Round Boy

Oh, and it's a snip at 60 quid.

4. Dewy

Dewy New Member

You are unlikely to find anything suitable for that price. You need a 1/2" router for panel raising which must be in a table. I doubt if any cheap models come with fine height adjustment. You would soon curse the waste of money if you get one that is unsuitable for everything you are likely to want it for which will cost much more in the long run. I suggest paying double the amount for a DW625 or the Trend T11 which is made by Dewalt and based on the 625 but is designed for table use with a larger appeture for panel raising bits and has fine height adjustment from both top and bottom for hand or table use.

5. Jonny Round Boy

I suggest paying double the amount

Great if you can just double your budget at the drop of a hat. Most people can't. Obviously if someone can afford a De Walt or similar, then that would be best. But if you can't, you need to compromise on something.

And the Erbauer does have fine height adjustment.

6. Chocdrop4767

Chocdrop4767 New Member

Cheers guys, I thought that perhaps a 1/2 inch would be needed for raised panels, but didn't know it NEEDED to be housed in a table. £150 is really all I can push to at the moment. There are some universal router tables around so I guess i can get the table separately.

What are the Ryobi routers like?

Failing that Trend seem to come up alot in discussions......

7. Dewy

Dewy New Member

My suggestion was based on experience over the years.
    I have bought plenty of budget tools in the past and soon had to replace them with better quality therefore costing more in the end.
    I have also bought some cheap tools which have lasted well and were worth double what I paid for them.

Trend dont make their own routers but buy from outside sources rebadged as Trend.
    My 1st router was a 1/4" Perles 808 which has never let me down over many years. The Trend T5 is made in the same factory as Perles. The Trend T10 & T11 are made by DeWalt and as they are upgrades of the 625 still have an on/off switch instead of one that needs holding down by hand as all new router must have by EU rules.
    Whatever you get Chocdrop I hope it serves you well.
    If you do a search for Erbauer on this forum you will see a number of comments about its quality from those who have tried them.
    You will see similar posts on the ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/ about the Erbauer.

8. two by one

two by one New Member

My theory about tools is that if you only need it once then get a cheap one but if you use it daily or weekly get something that does the job. This year I bought a cheap orbital sander which is a pig to use, the free sheets with it did'nt even work and when it fails I will shell out for a proper machine. The Hitachi with the free sander from Screwfix looks like a good deal, I know some hire shops use them. The Dewalts are nice to use. ITS power tools do them with a free bit set.