Good idea

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Phil the Paver, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

maybe, and maybe they'll learn or assume that's how to get their own point across, when words fail use violence

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

LOL, I don't drink, haven't done so for years, that's maybe why I can see clearly now and not blinkered eyes.

3. Phil the Paver

Different way of looking at it, I state that since the abolition of the cane, children's behavior has got worse.

Prove to me it hasn't and that the modern approach is working.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No one's mentioned 'diet' yet, only had a Fish & Chip shop when I was a lad and none of the other so called fast food outlets!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

5. Phil the Paver

Well that's a very good point, the crapp that's put into processed foods these days could explain a lot of things.

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

ultra violent video games is another pastime that's not been around for so long

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Mmmm?

And how damaged are you?

Are you disproving your own preachings?

Did it turn you dysfunctional?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Phil the Paver likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

Well there is that aswell.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Come to think of it we never had ashburgers syndrome, bi-polar, attention deficit etc, but we did have the corner of the room and a conical shaped hat with a 'D' letter on it. Ahhhhh, the good old days, where did they go?

10. Phil the Paver

Bi-Polar just a goody two shoes name for Manic Depression.

11. Need a bigger hammer

Need a bigger hammer Active Member

One of the big problems with the "kids" of today is the fact that they think they are bullet proof. And in a lot of ways they are... They have been brought up by parents who in turn were brought up in an age when "liberalism" started rearing its ugly head. "Kids are people too." "Kids have a voice that needs to be heard." And all the other claptrap garbage that was espoused then. So now we have a second generation of "little darlings." Who seem to think that they can do whatever they want. They want "respec'" They don't want "Dissin'" They certainly don't want to have to do something that causes them to "toe the line." They are too ready with the mouth, and not too ready with the thinking. They will as a gang, attack someone, just because he "dissed" them... What he hell is that all about? When I was a kid, there is no way me and my mates would have had a go at an adult. The only thing that the youth of today respects is someone who has a bigger stick! I know this from experience. I am 57 yrs old, but not a small bloke. Some "Youts" gave my wife some (a lot) of verbal, as she came home from the local shop. I jumped in the car and found them quite quickly. It was quite amazing how they backed off (three of them) when they were confronted by a large guy with a jack handle in his hand, pleading with them to prove how big they were... They didn't look so big then. So I reckon that a lack of discipline in schools has caused a lot of problems for everybody. Bring back the cane. If they behave then they don't need to even see it. I also reckon that parents should be given a "Scarborough" warning when it is seen that their kids are stepping out of line....

Cheburashka likes this.
  12. Phil. No, you prove that your synopsis is right - you're the one making the claim.

Whether or not children's behaviour in general is - or is not - worse than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago, there is something I can say with 100% conviction:

No, I don't live in the inner-city, but the village/ small town in Devon I live in is recognised as a significantly deprived area - large unemployment, generations on benefits, drink, drugs, and child abuse. The nearest town - Bideford - has all the problems you'll find in any inner-city (save for large ethnic populations).

My local primary school has a Foundation Unit, so we see these children from the age of around 4 - that's young. We know - or soon pick up on - the ones that are neglected at home. We know the ones who's parents are druggies, have fractured families, are physically and sexually abused.

Using the fantastic FSU staff that we have, along with proven systems like 'Thrive' and additional support from Nursery+, these kids - already displaying frightening and sometimes very aggressive behaviour - can be rescued. Their situations are picked up on that early, and they are supported right through the school. And it works.

Guess what wouldn't work? The very first threat of physical violence would stop their development dead in the water - they would lose all trust in the school and the staff in that instant.

That's not to say these kids - all the kids at school - aren't given 'punishments' - of course they are. They need to know where the line in the sand is drawn - and they do know it. And it's consistent. And it will often involve physically restraining them for their own and other children's safety.

But you just need to see how these poor little b*****ds respond to a bit of encouragement and praise - something they barely have at home.

You - and a few others - are displaying the mentality of a religious zealot; 'badly-behaved kids need a good thrashing - that's all.' (Replace that with 'fear of gawd').

'They have no respec' for adults'. I know - a good thrashing will soon have them 'respecting' us.

And the classic - 'kids have a voice that needs to be heard - claptrap garbage'. Pffft - nothing that a good clout won't fix.

And the thing is, if you really do rescue these kids (I'm talking the 'right' way here...), then you will have broken the cycle and they will go on to nurture their kids too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
    chippie244 likes this.
  13. Dr Phil is in.

14. How damaged? Can't say I'm too damaged by it now. But, then again, I was a good kid and didn't need to be kept in order with the use of the belt. I basically behaved well, and kept out of the way. But still got belted.

What I can say is that I remember all the more obvious cases of unfairness when being belted, and my feeling of resentment towards that teacher/ Head. I remember one time standing there with around 2 or 3 others, waiting my turn, and I hadn't a scooby what it was all about. And I knew that if I dared ask "why?", I'd have been given even more lashes for of 'insolence'. I also remember that I would never go to these people for help because I didn't trust them. That I was a painfully shy and insecure child who hated school and didn't do any work there.

I also remember - as do my fellow ex-pupils - the teachers who never raised their voices, who acted as if they actually loved being there, who clearly got a buzz out of teaching, and who had the best behaved classes.

I can think of all the teachers from my Primary and Secondary schooling who I have genuine respect for.

It was only my natural genius that got to to where I am now - patronising people on this forum.

chippie244 likes this.
  15. proby

proby Active Member

Glad I don't live in your village sounds a right hole. They didn't film the league of gentleman there did they with the local shop.
    Any way I agree the cane is old fashioned and has no place in school cattle prod is the way to go with an adjustable voltage for different age groups. Failing that something like the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang.

16. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hmmmmm, I do think the problems with some kids, all began when they were given these "Yooman Rights" If a child misbehaves at school, or in the street, any attempt to admonish them for it, is automatically seen as an infringement of their "rights". So over the years, these kids don't learn anything about respect for others..
    I don't know what the answer is? I doubt whether anyone knows the answer either? I do suspect however, that society will only get worse, until something drastic changes the way people behave towards each other.
    I've always believed that with "rights" come, "responsibilities". Anyone not accepting these "responsibilities" should forego these "rights" .

17. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Some of you in this thread really have no idea at all what it is like to live on a scummy London council estate with gangs, Real drug problems and very anti social behaviour.
    Maybe you should try it for a year or two? It would change your opinions forever.

This thread reminds me a bit of one of my 'lollipops and sunshine' relatives who think the answer to good well balanced children is to let them run wild and free. One thing I can say for sure is, It didn't work.

18. JJ, it's nothing to do with kids being given 'human rights' - y'know, the same entitlement as the rest of the human race. That whole first paragraph of yours could have been lifted straight out of the Daily Mail. It's complete nonsense.

Kids should be the first lot to be given 'human rights' - do that properly and you'll have decent kids who will go on to bring their own up the same way.

Sean_ork likes this.
  19. I do have some idea of what you are saying, Cheb, as I did my training in London, lived in Kennington, and did my first teaching practice in the 'Geoffrey Chaucer' school near 'Elephant & Castle'. Before then I lived in the Isle of Dogs - in a large hi-rise block, woken up each day with the noise of the pile-driving for the (awe man, what the hell is that building called?)

And let me tell you - I would hate to have lived their permanently. And I could not have taught there for any length of time.

But that is a completely different issue to this topic.

20. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

One Canada Square .....