Good job or bad job

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chris Wilkinson, May 1, 2018.

1. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

On my new system the heating motorized valve wouldn't switch off the heating, brand new out the box it didn't work. ??

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I suppose anything can be faulty new.
    But zone valves seem to be poor quality now. Honeywell had a good reputation, but are giving trouble nowadays.

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

It was a Honeywell.

Worse than that though, the boiler had a rubber seal ring missing from the flue. !!!

Heat likes this.
  4. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I think the valve with grey metal head to the left side of cylinder in first photo, is the one supplied with the unit. It must have the wires connected and NOT manually opened.

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

We nearly have to test everything in detail before installing them nowadays.
    The Honeywell zone valves look sturdy well built on outside, but their design inside is causing them to wear. Am hoping they are eventually redesigned, but who knows.

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You say it's a new build ? The cable to the fuse spur looks very rough can't really tell on my iPad but looks like rubber insulated cable

7. Chris Wilkinson

Chris Wilkinson New Member

Yeah it’s my own new build. I don’t think the sparks have finished tidying in there up yet they were waiting until this was all in

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Saw your plumber on TV last week, well I think it was him, isn't he the guy who makes coat racks and sculptures out of copper tube. :confused:

Dr Decorator likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Soldered joints are so old fashion today, push fit is in now.

Sadly, I like soldered joints over push fit.:oops:

Joe95 likes this.
  10. exbg

exbg Screwfix Select

Obviously writing at same time.

OP: How did you meet/find the "plumber" ? Did you feed his horse any sugar lumps? :)

Heat and KIAB like this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I wonder if plumber has a G3 ticket to work on unvented cylinder.o_O

12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I think the plumber might have a GU ticket - ‘ Generally Useless’

Dr Decorator and Joe95 like this.
  13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Push fit is legal to use, but end feed soldered fittings are better and cheaper. Just lazy plumbing and always second best to use push fit there imo.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

I know push fit is legal, but it looks so tacky,only end feed soldered fitting for me I afraid.

Very lazy plumbing.:)

Heat likes this.
  15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Me too, just DIY but it looks a darn sight better, is cheaper and a lot more durable. Have been known to use Yorkshire fittings on occasion if hard to get at. :oops:

KIAB likes this.
  16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Even looks like cheap old pushfits used - maybe Polyplumb or some unbranded nonsense

Couldn’t even use a decent make for price charged, either Hep or JG, gotta look after those profit margins I guess :(

Also a few more pipe clips would have been nice (yeah again less profit I realise but could always add as ‘extras’) :eek:

Hope you get this sorted though

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'm curious, what was agreed re pricing with the fitter and what was he asked to do exactly? I could have done better blindfolded.

RolandK likes this.
  18. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Plenty of words used above to describe that.

I am not a trained plumber - just self taught with advice from professionals. To me that is abysmal, layout, support, fittings, workmanship and more. If you are using copper then solder joints should dominate with occasional compressions where required. If using plastic pipe, then push fit connections throughout and of a decent brand - Hep2O or JG Speedfit. The only time I would use a plastic push fit on copper or a compression on plastic would be where the two systems interface.

and with one hand tied behind your back too!

19. Chris Wilkinson

Chris Wilkinson New Member

It’s one of my friends dads, he done the rest of the pipework in the house but we won’t go into that. To be honest I thought a better job would have been carried out, the £1774 was only for labour. I’ve supplied the rest of the materials about £900 worth

20. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

To give you an idea.

This is my install.

20180502_174322.jpg

20180502_174331.jpg

20180502_174343.jpg

Dr Decorator likes this.