Good or bad idea? Sheet metal or bitumen

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dvddvd, May 9, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm building a little workshop 7.2m x 2.5m all wood construction and have got to the roof stage.
    I want a mono pitch roof, one side is 2.5m and the lower side is 2.0m.

I was going to board the roof out in 18mm OSB3 and the cover in Oudiline bitumen corrugated roofing from wickes. I've used it before with a good result.

Just looking on eBay and a company is selling box profile galvanised roof sheeting, it's 0.5mm thick and painted. Comes in 10 foot lengths and width cover is 1000mm.

To cover in the Oudiline will cost £220 and the metal roofing will cost around £150,

Any problems with either of them?

The Oudiline sheeting will take 15 sheets to cover due to only coming in 2000m lengths, so a join on each length.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks this stuff is only £15 a sheet, the roofing sheets on the link is £25 a sheet and they want £288 postage to York!

4. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Any problems with the steel sheeting?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shouldn't be,as you got a osb sub base.

6. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi thanks

7. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I worked it out originally for the bitumen corrugated sheeting with a 10 degree fall with a full supported deck.

I don't suppose the steel corrugated stuff will be any different?

8. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

You don't need the osb, usually purlins approx 1m spacing. One issue with metal roofing is condensation, although that won't be an issue with osb under it. You can also get sheets with anti condensation layer, or insulation. I used plastic coated corrugated sheeting for my shed, very pleased with it. If you look around, there are suppliers that will supply any length you want. I got mine from cladco, who were very helpful making sure I had the right bits and pieces. IIRC the minimum pitch is 6 degrees.

9. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

I found a place local in the end. 2.6m lengths, pvc coated and 0.7 thick with a anti condensation fleece on the rear side and delivered for £20 thanks