Good starter drill??

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by DragonLady, Jan 23, 2018.

1. DragonLady

DragonLady New Member

Hi, im looking at getting a drill to help with diy around the house, putting up shelves etc, and I am wondering what a good starter grade drill, not too expensive, would be. Thanks :)

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

What's your budget, roughly...£50? £100? £150?

KIAB will be on momentarily to recommend a suitable Bosch model...

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Have a look around for 18volt cordless hammer drills, get one with a second battery, because it will run out at the most inconvenient time. The bigger Amp Hour battery the better all the same power, but for example a 2ah will run for longer on each charge that a 1.2ah.
    Have a look around somewhere like B&Q to have a heft of them and see how they feel for weight grip etc.
    We all have our preference of make I like Bosch, Ryobi and the older Dewalts, but for DIY it really doesn't matter just stick to a known brand like the three I have mentioned or Black and decker, Metabo, Makita, and avoid the own brand ones the DIY stores sell, plus Silverline and anything in a catalogue that comes through the door! ;)

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Beat him to it. The green range of Bosch tools are excellent for under £100, can't go wrong, if your budget stretches to £150ish the Bosch gsb18v li looks to be very good value. Incidentally I purchased the Bosch 12v gsr last week for £80, superb little drill for the size and money, got tired of doing kitchens and hanging doors with a large heavy beast of an 18v drill.

CGN likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Dr Bodgit likes this.
  6. For a beginner and occasional use I would suggest 240v corded, poss sds.

Doesnt need to be the best. But will post some links up later.

Cordless for diy, light use is wasted. Battery will be flat when needed, and dearer than mains for equivalent power.

Spend the money on good drill bits rather than the best drill.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Ryobi one, £85 with two batteries and charger, fine for DIY. Only problem is that you will find yourself adding from the range once you have the batteries and charger with your first purchase. I've now got the circular saw, multitool and driver and feel the itch whenever I am in that big orange shop to add more. I do have a Bosch 240v 500w (can't remember the model) for tougher jobs, it is far more powerful than the Ryobi.

longboat likes this.
  9. big all

big all Screwfix Select

bxpoo do a ryobi hammer drill for £150 with 2 x4ah batteries

10. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Really? it's way over the top. Have you tried picking one up? I have that model, but I bought it to take up floor tiles in kitchen, arm was aching after holding it for a few minutes. You certainly could not put screws in with it.
    For run of the mill DIY a battery drill/driver will give a better solution. Modern batteries don't lose their charge that quickly.
    I would go into B&Q and see what they have on offer, they usually have something they want out of stock. I picked up a blue Bosch 18v with 3 batteries for £80 last year.

longboat likes this.

11. For a beginner, diy, occasional use, I would suggest they need a drill that can cope with anything and put screws in by hand.

Cordless drill good enough to cope with what a mains drill can do is an expensive waste.

The money is better off being spent on the drill bits.

There are other drills if that is too heavy,.

12. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I too have one of these, it's a beast and is heavy. I got it for breaking up the concrete footings of an old fence and breaking up some paving slabs, there is no way that this would be suitable around the house for the drilling the odd hole, you'd likely go straight through the wall!

13. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I know Jord told me I need to 'man up' (or words to that effect) when this drill has been discussed before but it is really heavy Jack. I wouldn't use it on a ladder for instance and mine will probably get used as a lightweight breaker more than anything now.

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

For a mains drill, you can't beat the Bosch GBH 2-26 DFR sds plus drill covers everything, a light breaker, ideal for removing tiles,chiselling work, a impact drill & will deal with any masonry , even the harder stuff & it's a ordinary drill either with the quick change sds chuck or three jaw chuck,overall the drill isn't too heavy & will easily cope with every job around the home.

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bos...MI_s_Wu8_u2AIVFy0ZCh0otwAIEAkYCSABEgLc8PD_BwE

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

We haven't yet heard back from the OP re their budget or what they want to use the drill for.

For most uses i.e. drilling wood, walls for hanging things etc and screwing, a battery powered drill/driver is most appropriate, I'd recommend 18v as you need something half decent for drilling into masonary. If, however, the OP is going to be drilling into concrete lintels (hanging curtain rails can be a right ball ache if drilling into really hard concrete lintels) then an SDS+ drill is going to be needed, but this is very much the exception.

Horses for courses.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And we don't know the age of the house, a modern house virtually any drill will cope with it, whereas a older house it's usually,a lot of harder bricks/concrete to drill & a lot of 18v combi will struggle & only sds plus will do.
    Got hard walls here & my Bosch Bosch GSB 18v Li cordless will drill them, but it's slow going, so out with my heavier Bosch 18v combi or the sds plus drill.

17. Thats really the point I was trying to make.

It really does depend on the house build type.

But a beginner will probably only drill 20/50 holes a year. But if they are all into old hard brick or lintels, then a cordless drill will be an expensive waste. Screwing that amount of screws in with a screwdriver (remember them?) will not matter. Doing that many a day is totally different.

A cheaper corded drill will have enough power to cope. Money spent on good drill bits will make all the difference.

So it depends on the OP/house type.

KIAB likes this.
  18. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Something like the Bosch GSB 18-2 that Kiab refers to is ideal. The hammer action is normally enough for render and bricks. For the OP I would suggest that 2 x 2Ah batteries will be enough for the type of tasks she is planning on. Getting a 4 or 5 Ah battery will be a waste and also makes te drill a lot heavier and uncomfortable if doing a lot - I have both small and large batteries for mine and when working up a ladder often prefer the smaller.

£99.99 https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-18-2-li-plus-18v-2-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/5916t or for a bare body with no batteries it is £89.99

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's a cracking drill, compact,well balanced, actually like the light,surprisingly I find handy, batteries last ages,find the Bosch multi contruction bits work great with drill, had no problems drilling 8mm diameter holes with drill.