Good starter drill??

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by DragonLady, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

whilst 2ah batteries are in general good for diy after about 2-4 years old batteries tend to loose around half there capacity [often more so on own brand]and often a bit off the voltage so what is now a 2ah 18v drill will turn into say 1ah by 15v giving poor results
    if you go for ryobi 'replacement batteries have been available for one+ system for possibly 20+ years now

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Mine is around 5 years old and there is not much noticeable degradation in capacity. Even with capacity loss they are fine for DIY ...

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ops probably more confused and bored now and is currently in Argos :D

As Kiab said, new house, probably get away with a modest combi drill. Older house with solid brickwork, you really need an SDS unless you buy a really good top of the range combi drill and even then, to a beginner, it can be hard work.

I'd buy a cheapish SDS drill and a drill driver.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

they may off course be quite close to origional levels but if you drill one hole a month and only require say 20% off origional capacity you wont nessiserily notice the reductions

but trust me all batteries loose capacity some more than others
    man and boy i would consider my 20 odd years with ryobi dewalt bosch batteries and some lidl as very informative
    all three or 4 loose capacity as said about 40-60% over say 3-5 years with own makes or cheaper the same or often far more loss off capacity

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018