Government to undermine builders’ wages

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by HarryL1234, Jul 17, 2023.

1. HarryL1234

HarryL1234 Screwfix Select

The government is apparently to open the borders to foreign building workers in an effort to tackle the shortage of home grown workers. Easier than training our own youngsters, eh?

Sky’s got the story.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

So what’s changed? :confused:

3. HarryL1234

For the last 20 years … nothing!

4. Pallassscat

Pallassscat Active Member

Don’t worry, it won’t work.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Risking getting a fulltime ban here, I was under the impression a huge proportion returned to their homeland after Brexit....why would they now want to return....must be the nice government bonus handout

6. Pallassscat

I don’t know why you’d get banned for saying that?

7. HarryL1234

Are you not allowed to mention B****t?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not Brexit.....I had made some unacceptable non PC comments in the past that gave me a 4 month holiday to Bornmuff, demotion and a final warning with no prospect whatsoever of reinstatement to a Screwfix Select member ever again. Screwfix Peter has recently reminded me the final warning remains in place and he has no intention of revoking it. So treat this as a warning to others re comments about our friends from overseas as Peter will jumpm hard on anyone who upsets the Scewfix Community Rules.:(:oops:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2023
  9. HarryL1234

Where would I find the community rules?

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also on the wall in the Bornmuff accommodation suite.

12. Pallassscat

Go to mums net, say what you like over there, and all BILDAS are VIP’s over there!

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Whether anyone cares to admit it or not, the Construction Industry in this country is in dire straits and has been for at least fifteen years, the amount of tradesmen who retired or changed vocation who were nowhere near retirement was astounding.

Filling the void with cheap foreign labour and allowing five week wonder con schemes to exist rather than investing in colleges and a proper apprentice training program is scandalous, but is indicative of todays society, Government, and ‘modern’ thinking. In my opinion.

Abrickie, Astramax and Pallassscat like this.
  14. Pallassscat

Yep

15. HarryL1234

Gotta wonder how they’re going to vet overseas builders to ensure they’re properly qualified. It’s difficult enough to vet UK builders.

16. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Resmond and Astramax like this.
  17. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

I'm curious, when the application for a visa goes in, what qualifications are asked for? ie. how does an applicant prove they have the skills?

18. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

I would asume that they will want to see paper qualifications which is really all that they can go on, A Dr or someone like me has plenty of them to gain access to most countries. Obviously no guarantee you can actually do the job you are qualified to do but it is a bench mark. Nowadays qualifications are somewhat muddying the waters as there are so many different ones which all appear to point in the same direction but they actually don't.

Alan22 likes this.
  19. HarryL1234

Alan22 likes this.
  20. big all

big all Screwfix Select

hope your keeping well astramax

mmm not being funny but you know whats expected and what form off conduct or comment may get noticed so you know what buttons to press or not press and iff you decide one action the results may be not to your liking you make your choices and take the consequences
    i have extremely strong opinions, mostly against corruption and evil from those in charge but keep it in check as a help forum for diy is not the place
    in general trying to reason on forums has zero impact and zero value so not worth pursuing or wasting time on
    i spend all my time and effort helping friends and family and neighbours around me if i am not helping on forums like s/f:D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023